PDA

View Full Version : Let's Build A Tank!

LakeShow
12/16/2012, 03:18 PM
After a year without a salt water tank running i'm dying to give it another try. My first tank was a 50G sumpless set up that after about a year of losing a GHA battle i took down. I learned a lot from my first build and am ready to jump back in with a new VISIO 80 gallon reef ready set up.

The tank's dimensions will be 48"X18"x23"

So far i have built a 2x4 stand for the tank and am in the skinning process right now.

I have been researching equipment for this tank for months now, and i feel like everyday i change my mind on many big equipment purchases. This is were all of you successful, knowledgable reefers come in!

I plan on using a 30g sump for this set up, wanted a 40g breeder but i feel i will not leave myself enough room under the stand for my intended reactors/equipment.

Equipment

Rock/Sand:
- I have about 50lbs of rock from my old tank still sitting in the back yard, might add a little live rock to seed, but want this to be a minimalistic set up.
- 1" medium grade sand bed.

Lighting:
- I have been going back and forth on a few different options.
1. Chinese led lights ( most likely two d120's)
2. TEK 6x54w with ATI bulbs ( proven but more expensive option + bulb replacements.)
3. one 27" RAZOR LED (my favorite but i feel it will not have enough spread for a 48" tank, and i cant afford two)

Skimmer:
- I go back and forth on this almost daily, i want a large skimmer to allow a nice bioload and i plan to run bio pellets (see below) Looking for any input on this would be great, don't want to spend more than $400
-Some options:
1. SRO 2000 INT
2. SWC 160 cone
3. Vertex OMEGA (may be harder to get/ brand new so no track record)
4. Reef Octopus NWB 150
5. ??? please help!!

Reactors:
- One thing that really hurt my last unsuccessful tank was limited space for things like reactors, so this time around i really want to make sure i do everything i can to reduce nuisance algae.
1. BRS Carbon and GFO reactors (separate)
2. Bio Pellet reactor. Im looking for input from people that have successfully used bio pellets on what a good reactor would be, iv read recirculating reactors have the best track record, but need input on exact makes and models please!

Return Pump:
- I want to be able to run all three reactors plus return to tank with a single pump using a manifold. Was thinking either a EHIEM 1260 or 1262, will this be enough and which size would you go with?

In Tank Flow:
- I have an MP10WES from my last tank that i will put on this one, and also have several Hydor Koralia 750's and 1400's i will add for initial set up, may want to switch to Tunze later, the vortech's too loud for me.

Controller:
- Want one, but i don't think i can squeeze it into the budget for initial set up, do you think it is best to start with one or is this something that can easily be added later? Most likely go with a Apex.

ATO:
- Tunze osmolator with 5 gallon container. Also plan on using ATO for dosing Kalk.

Sump:
- I have always wanted a refugium but feel i do not have the space to provide one that would be big enough for any real effectiveness. Also don't want a light in the sump to keep things cleaner down there, maybe a cryptic fuge?
- Most likely will split 30G sump into two sections:
Filter socks, Skimmer ||| Return,heaters,reactors,ATO

Water/Salt:
-RO/DI BRS 5 stage
- My last tank used natural salt water i buy from the LFS around here, this time around i may mix my own.

Overall, my goal for this tank is to be a mixed reef but mostly sps, also want a few clams.

I have many more questions but i feel like this is already too long! Any feed back will be extremely appreciated! I really want this tank to be successful since my last was a failure. Need your guys/gals help to do so!

Thank you!