PDA

View Full Version : Chloroquine phosphate frozen food

rossco838
12/16/2012, 03:46 PM
I am ordering some chloroquine phosphate to treat my fish for crypt. I want to make my own medicated frozen food with pe mysis and garlic. I am just wondering how much chloroquine phosphate I should put in the food. Any other advice is welcome too

Thanks

MrTuskfish
12/16/2012, 05:47 PM
I'm never used CP; but am going to try it as soon as a LFS has a good test fish. So, this comment is for my info too and isn't really based on much. Why medicate the food? CP kills free-swimming crypt in the water column. Why worry about getting the med into the fish?

rossco838
12/16/2012, 06:12 PM
I am going to be doing both. I am getting mine from aqua info team and they sell a frozen food with chloroquine phosphate in it so I figured I would give it a go as well. I was under the impression chloroquine attacks crypt in a phases of its life?

b0bab0ey
12/16/2012, 06:28 PM
I've had good experiences dosing CP directly to the tank (40mg per gal) in a QT environment. I think this thing about soaking it in food is just another attempt to find a "reef safe" treatment. Even if it did work for the fish (which I highly doubt), IMO it is too great a risk for corals/inverts.

To MrTusk: I am still waiting for my LFS to get in a fish that's just loaded with Ich so I can document & photograph my experience treating it with CP. You wouldn't think it would be this hard.

rossco838
12/16/2012, 08:55 PM
I am going to be dosing in the dt it is a fowlr puffers and triggers. I have used quinine in the past with success buy this will be my first time dosing the dt

b0bab0ey
12/16/2012, 10:17 PM
I am going to be dosing in the dt it is a fowlr puffers and triggers. I have used quinine in the past with success buy this will be my first time dosing the dt

CP is one helluva algaecide, so don't be shocked when everything turns white. I've used it in the presence of a seeded sponge and never got an ammonia spike, so I can only assume the bacteria living in your LR will be fine. I don't know if rock absorbs CP the way it does copper. Good luck and let us know how you make out!

rossco838
12/16/2012, 11:57 PM
Yeah I read through your whole post about chloroquine and that's what made me decide to use it now over quinine and the fact it is cheaper now too helped with the decision.