PDA

View Full Version : Under Gravel Filter-help

jakdague
12/16/2012, 07:30 PM
I am setting up a tank for my daughter's water turtle. I want to try an UGF. My goal is to draw water from under the gravel to go through a biofilter i made. 1. How do i keep suction going and cut it back to match the pump. 2. If the power goes out how do i fix it so it does not suck to the bottom? I thought of putting a small hole below the water line. Ant thoughts or links would be appreciated.
I made the biofilter already i modeled it after the one for my 110 gal fresh water tank.

jakdague
12/18/2012, 11:05 AM
No one replied or posted! Is it a bad idea? Is this possible?

RegalAngel
12/18/2012, 11:38 AM
The UGF is the biofilter as that is where the water flows down into the gravel and organics stay. The UGF is connected to a closed loop pump and water gets pulled out from the UGF (usually some pvc connected together) which is located under the gravel to the pump and then pushed back into the top of the tank.
The gravel will get very dirty and require some maintenance by siphoning the buildup. Nitrates will be high but the turtle probably won't care.

tkeracer619
12/18/2012, 10:10 PM
Turtles are great sources of salmonella. If the shell is smaller then 4" it is illegal to purchase and sell.

The UGF is a good method and will need to be maintained via vacuuming the gravel. You don't need an extra bio anything but it won't hurt. Keep it clean and make sure your kid washes her hands after touching the turtle. If she is under 5 it is highly recommended to return the turtle for her own well being.