PDA

View Full Version : Macros in fresh?

Auban
12/16/2012, 09:15 PM
Has anyone ever heard of a saltwater macro algae growing in freshwater? I know this seems like a dumb question, but I have a good reason for asking. Specifically, has anyone ever heard of chaeto growing in freshwater.

Also, is there any known freshwater algae that is physically identical to chaeto? I'm trying to cover all my bases before I let my brain explode.

SushiGirl
12/16/2012, 09:51 PM
What's the good reason for asking? :)
I've never heard of chaeto growing in freshwater. The couple of macros that I've tried dipping in a quick freshwater dip didn't make it.

Auban
12/16/2012, 10:55 PM
I think it's a bit early for me to get too excited, but I have a special freshwater tank that may have chaeto growing in it. At first I thought that some dead cheato may have been left on the filter from when the tank was a salty, but I checked it under a scope and this stuff is definitely alive. It looks exactly like chaeto, even feels like chaeto. The thing is, the tank was not only converted to fresh, but it was also dried for a month or so before it was switched. Right now I'm looking for any freshwater equivalent that it could be.

Khemul
12/17/2012, 07:32 PM
Java Moss can look similar to Chaeto, but I'm not sure they'd look similar on that close of an inspection. It's more of a superficial, look similar if the person doesn't know what they are looking at -style similarity.

Auban
12/18/2012, 08:00 AM
i dont know, java moss looks nothing like chaeto to me...

it also looks nothing like an algae under a microscope.