PDA

View Full Version : Long pulse of MP40wes question.

LittleBurger
12/16/2012, 10:53 PM
I have 2 MP40Wes. Set both to long pulse. Old MP40wes will have a stop and spin cycle and the other few months old MP40wes will always be spinning non stop. Both controller have their blue Led light cycling back n forth on controller. Which MP40 is faulty, and is it the controller or pump(dry/wet) side faulty?

EcoTech Service
12/17/2012, 04:12 PM
http://community.ecotechmarine.com/ecotechmarine/topics/mp40_long_pulse_questions

LittleBurger
12/17/2012, 06:15 PM
http://community.ecotechmarine.com/ecotechmarine/topics/mp40_long_pulse_questions

The answer in Ecotech community does not help. I'm using the 2 mp40wes on the same tank But not in any master slave relationship.
Both are set in long pulse mode which means both light code are the same, n I've cycled thru the modes umpteen times. The leds are cycling in long pulse mode But the newer pump is not stopping and then spinning. I trusted the pump and I Thought looking at the led cycling means my new pump is functioning. It's only when I accidentally notice the difference between my old n new pumps behaviour in long pulse mode.
All along I'm using short pulse mode n when I switch to long pulse and make this observation.
This issue might be an out of box issue. If I didn't change the mode I wouldn't have discovered this. I don't expect a premium pump would have this problem.

The pumps should function properly in any manner, and especially by itself. Till now, no one in ecotech can advice me which pump is exhibiting the correct function. However, when I observe the lfs using long pulse, it seems my new pump is having problem.

LittleBurger
12/19/2012, 07:51 AM
This is the video of both of my MP40wes in long pulse mode.
The top left controller is the old 1. The bottom right controller is about 6mths old.
The 1st propeller belongs to the old controller.
The 2nd propeller belongs to the new controller.

http://youtu.be/SsNBOxLKAU8

LittleBurger
12/19/2012, 11:43 PM
I've recorded a video showing the comparison of my pumps.
Can ecotech kindly tell me if my new pump is faulty? I paid usd661 n it is disappointing to have such product support.

LittleBurger
12/19/2012, 11:46 PM

Hi Jon, pls see the video of my 2 pumps in operation. I just need to know if the new pump is faulty n get a replacement.

LittleBurger
12/22/2012, 07:33 PM

where are the product support?

I took trouble to record my pumps video and put it here. If ecotech just take a look at it n just tells me if the long pulse is operating incorrectly and i can just get a replacement. It's a max 10mins job. So why aren't u people doing anything?
THIS IS NOT A USD61 PUMP, IT IS USD661 PUMP.

grcforce327
12/22/2012, 07:41 PM
Both of my new ones do what the second one in the vid does. Why do you need it to come to a complete stop? Technically,the first one doesn't come to a stop either.

Breadman03
12/22/2012, 08:16 PM
Download the manual (http://ecotechmarine.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/MP40-Manual.pdf) from the Ecotech site. It shows how much power is applied to the pump during the long pulse mode. It starts at 0%, then cycles between 20% and 100%.

My pump also operated like the second one.

Also, the online manual shows how to update your drivers. Perhaps you have an older driver that went to a slower speed.

LittleBurger
12/23/2012, 08:47 AM
Both of my new ones do what the second one in the vid does. Why do you need it to come to a complete stop? Technically,the first one doesn't come to a stop either.Hi, Thanks for viewing the videos.
The 1st pump actually slows down where you can see the props of the propeller when properller almost come to a stop. The 2nd pump even though it slows down, the prop is still very fast n u can't see the props of the propeller at all. Sometimes I set the freq of the long pulse Eg. 5th Led from left. the blue led get stuck at the set freq n u see rapid flickering led Between extreme left and 5th led At same time. I was prepared to close an eye on this until I notice this propeller thingy. Just too much issues which I need to bring up. I bought this pump this Aug. I went to lfs tat uses vortech n during long pulse, u see the propeller behaves the same As my 1st pump.

I just want to point out tat pple seldom use long pulse n one might not notice the abnormality.

LittleBurger
12/23/2012, 09:07 AM
Download the manual (http://ecotechmarine.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/MP40-Manual.pdf) from the Ecotech site. It shows how much power is applied to the pump during the long pulse mode. It starts at 0%, then cycles between 20% and 100%.

My pump also operated like the second one.

Also, the online manual shows how to update your drivers. Perhaps you have an older driver that went to a slower speed.
Hi, Thanks for the manual. Have gone thru it.
I see that for both short n long pulse the minimum speed is at 20%. There are 12 led defining power. So if I set my speed to only 2led power, I suppose it might be slightly weaker than 20% or more than 20%. Wouldn't tat defuse The Pulsing? So if using long n short pulse u Must set speed higher than 20% for pump to work properly? It will mean the pump's short n long pulse operating speed set must be more than 20%. It would seem this limit the low speed performance of the pump. Whereas my 1st pump is almost Coming to a halt. This behaviour seems to provide the full speed operation. I can set the speed at even 1led light.
One may ask y u set such a low speed. I'm using 2nd pump near to my seafan, spider sponges n cauliflowers n needed weak flow pulsing.

Breadman03
12/23/2012, 09:13 AM
I believe that 100% on the chart refers to 100% of your set max. I just set mine to minimum speed and can see the pump cycling from where I can tell when each prop blade is going by to just a blur.

LittleBurger
12/23/2012, 09:31 AM
I believe that 100% on the chart refers to 100% of your set max. I just set mine to minimum speed and can see the pump cycling from where I can tell when each prop blade is going by to just a blur.
Thanks for the trouble for u to test out for me. Thank you.
Does it mean you pump is behaving like my 1st Pump?

I downloaded from ecotech website now on mp40wes quick start n full manual.
Both long n short pulse cycle from 0% power to set power.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t172/waterbottle_23/Screenshot_2012-12-23-23-28-08.png

Breadman03
12/23/2012, 11:47 AM
Mine appears to function like the 2nd pump in the video. The prop doesn't stop, but gets slow enough that I can tell when the individual blades are passing by.

I don't know, but I suspect that either your old driver is running an older software program that stops the prop or it could be a malfunction.

Try switching the cables so your old dry side is connected to your new controller and see if the issue follows the controller or stays with the dry side. Make sure to power off your pumps first. This will let you know if the issue is hardware or software related.

If it follows the controller, I would try updating the old driver to match the new one. The procedure is on page 6 of the full manual. The instructions aren't very clear, but it looks like you need to set them up as Master/Slave, then perform the update.

LittleBurger
12/23/2012, 06:48 PM
Mine appears to function like the 2nd pump in the video. The prop doesn't stop, but gets slow enough that I can tell when the individual blades are passing by.

I don't know, but I suspect that either your old driver is running an older software program that stops the prop or it could be a malfunction.

Try switching the cables so your old dry side is connected to your new controller and see if the issue follows the controller or stays with the dry side. Make sure to power off your pumps first. This will let you know if the issue is hardware or software related.

If it follows the controller, I would try updating the old driver to match the new one. The procedure is on page 6 of the full manual. The instructions aren't very clear, but it looks like you need to set them up as Master/Slave, then perform the update.
Hi. Thank you. it could be the older software Issue. I can't swap the controllers between the dry side. It would void my warranty.I've swap my wet side n issue stays on the dry side/controller.
The contradicting part is ecotech latest manual shows power goes to 0%.
I touch n feel my dry side of both my motors. I can feel my 1st pump motor has very little motion(u need To Concentrate to feel It) whereas my 2nd pump motor u can still feel motion. It now depends which manual is correct to determine which pump is functioning.
Ecotech representatives have yet to participate in this discussion to verify my doubts.
This leaves the speculation that my 2nd pump is behaving wrongly and there are many others which were sold recently that are also exhibiting the wrong behaviour.

Breadman03
12/23/2012, 09:52 PM
Interesting that your manual shows 0%. I downloaded mine this week and it shows 20%.

LittleBurger
12/24/2012, 06:34 AM
Interesting that your manual shows 0%. I downloaded mine this week and it shows 20%.

ecotechmarine.com/support/downloads

After U show me the power graph, I went to ecotech today n download their mp40wes quick start. I just feel the motor slowing down at 20% instead of 0% does not make sense. If I set my pump 20% or less, then the short n long pulse will not work at all.

Breadman03
12/24/2012, 08:23 AM
CRlFfN5xn_8

An example of mine with power set to the second LED. I can barely see the speed of the propeller change.

LittleBurger
12/24/2012, 10:39 PM
CRlFfN5xn_8

An example of mine with power set to the second LED. I can barely see the speed of the propeller change.

That's what I referring to. The Pulsing will not Work properly. So there might be many pumps out there exhibiting this and no one notices it....

Does ecotechmarine Knows this?

I understand it is XMAS n I'll wait patiently for Ecotechmarine's reply.

LittleBurger
12/26/2012, 07:53 AM
http://community.ecotechmarine.com/ecotechmarine/topics/mp40_long_pulse_questionsHi, any Ecotechmarine people around?
Could you kindly revert back on this question?

EcoTech Service
12/28/2012, 11:18 AM
We responded to your posts; please see the community page linked in your last post.

LittleBurger
01/04/2013, 09:01 AM
CRlFfN5xn_8

An example of mine with power set to the second LED. I can barely see the speed of the propeller change.Hi Breadman, the speed of the long pulse is determine by the speed of the feed mode. So if u set "barely spinning " u will see the propeller almost stopping and then spin again.

am surprised it took quite a while for a simple solution which led to an unpleasant n frustrating event, whereby the solution is simple.
I'm glad my unit is repaired n long pulse is solved. But bewildered by some ecotechmarine service attitude...