PDA

View Full Version : questions from a noob

hillbillybjopkr
12/17/2012, 07:43 PM
Hey all....new to siteand fairly new to saltwater tanks. been doin freshwater tanksfor 20+ yrs and got into salttanks abour 6 months ago. I absolutly love it. Think i have been fairly lucky as in haven't had any major issues...yet. So have a couple questions. one is i have a EXPLODING amphipod population...the green mandrin i had didn't seem to remotely make a dent in it i guess what i'm wondering is is there anytype's of coral that will feed on these things..

my other quesstion is i am in search of all the info i can get on mantis shrimp.....i wnt one.....i know everyone will say i'm crazy and am better off without one. I have been doing alot of research and am planning on setting up a 10-15 gal acrylic (NO WAY will wify let me put one in the big glass tank lol) specifically for the mantis shrimp

any and all info greatly appreciated

Fitz19d
12/18/2012, 06:04 AM
With a 15 gallon be aware of species size, as some of the biggest that will be a bit small for.

There is a mantis section on the forums, and I've also found a good bit of info elsewhere online.

I'm currently in the middle of setting up a Mantis tank myself.

426Hemi
12/18/2012, 06:42 AM
You HAD a green Mandarin? What happened to it? AFAIK nothing eats them as fast as the Mandarins.

hillbillybjopkr
12/19/2012, 08:16 PM
the mandrin died about a week after i got him....when he arrived the shipping water was about 65 degrees...didn't ever seem to pick up...then lost power over night for about 4 hourslast week and tank temp crashed...lost him and my green leather coral....have a back up system set up now with a couple of old CAT batteries from work. believe me wify's not thrilled with havin that in the house....but have a few more storms to get through

have my heart set on a peacock...was told they get about 8 inches and a 15 would be fine.....shoud i go bigger?...can't go to big as in with 2 75 gal in the livingroom already...mot much space left....was planin on settin it up here on the desk.......really make's me wish my 30 octagon wasn't glass