PDA

View Full Version : ATI setup on 125g tank

reeferhabit
12/18/2012, 09:51 AM
I am interested in switching from my AI LEDs back to t5's and I'm not sure the best way to setup a 8 bulb ATI powermodule unit on my 125g mixed reef (72in long). I can not find any 60in 8 bulb setups and it appears they have been discontinued. What is the best ATI option for my tank and is it possible not having to hang them from the ceiling?

mos90
12/18/2012, 10:05 AM
why not go with a 12bulb aquaticlife fixture? 72" and you can tank mount it.

reeferhabit
12/18/2012, 10:10 AM
I've heard so many great reviews about ATI that I Have focused on this fixture but I will look into aquaticlife.
Money is not an issue so I would like to go with the best

mos90
12/18/2012, 10:17 AM
http://www.saltysupply.com/ATI-60-8x80W-SunPower-p/ati3017.htm

a.browning
12/18/2012, 11:23 AM
Having used both Aquaticlife and ATI, there is no comparison. Aquaticlife certainly has a decent fixture, but ATI is top of the line. Have you tried finding a 60" 6-bulb ATI fixture? IMO, 8 bulbs would be way overkill considering you have a standard 125g. If you have a quality fixture, one bulb per 3in of tank width is enough to grow whatever you want. I run the 6-bulb Sunpower on my 75 (same width and height as your 125) and I had to raise it up to 10" just to not fry everything in the tank, and it's all sps. If I had the 8 bulb, I couldn't imagine how high you'd have to hang it.

As far as hanging options, you do not have to hang them from the ceiling. I made a light hanger out of EMT conduit pipe, which is a popular DIY solution for those of us who don't want to/can't hang the fixture from the ceiling. I can take pics if you are interested.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2009-04/diy/index.php

darkiss
12/18/2012, 11:34 AM
why are you switching out from AI ?

reeferhabit
12/18/2012, 01:36 PM
I've had the AI LEDs for over a year and have been very disappointed with the outcome. My tank thrived for 5 years when I had t5s and now I can't keep any corals with the AI. Spent endless time researching the AI unit and there is a similar sentiment by many. I do understand some have had success with the AIs but they are not for me even though I loved the controllability

darkiss
12/18/2012, 01:39 PM
hm strange

sirreal63
12/18/2012, 02:08 PM
Not strange at all, it is becoming the norm for people to switch back to traditional lighting, it seems most come back from AI but there others as well.

reeferhabit
12/18/2012, 02:12 PM
Thinking of going with ATI 6 bulb sun power. Any recommendations on bulb combinations?

codeblue48
12/18/2012, 02:13 PM
I just did the same thing. I had two AI Sol Blues over my 65 gallon for a year. I switched to an ATI Sunpower just over a month ago an I am very happy with the results. I was amazed at how much color I gained after the switch. The only thing I miss about the AI's is the controllability. It has become a non issue after connecting the Sunpower to my Apex though.

darkiss
12/18/2012, 02:15 PM
well I don't have AI but I do have LED and I have good coral growth.

codeblue48
12/18/2012, 02:16 PM
Thinking of going with ATI 6 bulb sun power. Any recommendations on bulb combinations?

This is the most popular setup and recommended by Grimreefer. I run it with a coral plus. It's a more 20k look. If you run a GE 6500k it's more like a 12k look. At least that's what I thought. And I've tried both.

4 Blue Plus
1 Purple plus
1 Coral plus or GE 6500k

a.browning
12/18/2012, 02:43 PM
I use the above bulb combination with great results. It seems that many are making their way back to T5 lighting from LED.

reeferhabit
12/18/2012, 05:04 PM
Before I purchase the 6 bulb and go with your bulb combination reccomendation, is there any benefit just going with the 8 bulb fixture?

rtparty
12/18/2012, 05:48 PM
Before I purchase the 6 bulb and go with your bulb combination reccomendation, is there any benefit just going with the 8 bulb fixture?

If the tank is 18" wide, no. 6 bulbs will be plenty.

If you have an upgrade in the very near future then 8 bulbs may be worth it.

Michigan Mike
12/18/2012, 05:50 PM

More color combos with the extra bulbs but you don't need them, you'll have enough light.
The 80w ATI bulbs in an ATI fixture are very, very bright! Insanely bright!lol
You will enjoy this light much more IMO, and if you still have issues after switching to ATI T5 , no way it can be a lighting issue.lol

a.browning
12/18/2012, 06:45 PM

You could do the 8-bulb, just keep in mind that it is way overkill for a 125gallon standard. More light is generally better, but you can certainly have too much light. ATI fixtures are about as good as it gets as far as light output and PAR values. Keep in mind, if you do the 8-bulb fixture you'll want to keep it high above the water and you'll want to be very careful acclimating new specimins to the intense light. As I previously mentioned, I bleached out a lot of my sps, even acropora, when I kept my 6-bulb too low on my 75 gallon (7in above the water). At 9 inches, everything colored up amazingly. So just be careful if you go with 8 bulbs.

What kind of tank are you doing? Unless it's 100% sps I wouldn't even consider the 8 bulb personally. 6 bulbs will be more than enough for your setup!

Michigan Mike
12/18/2012, 07:18 PM
why not go with a 12bulb aquaticlife fixture? 72" and you can tank mount it.

Changing 12 bulbs a year is ridiculous and the 36"(39w) bulbs aren't going to give you the power of the 60"(80w) bulbs, at all, not even close.
The six inches on each end is fine, ATI fixtures are very powerful and having the ends have less light is good for corals that old otherwise need to be shaded.
Not to mention having a little shorter light over the tank looks better and you don't get the light spilling out the sides as you do with a full length fixture.

I use a 24" 4x24w Sunpower over a 30" tank, that tank is 3" longer on each end and having 6" on each end instead isn't going to make a difference.

1 Way cheaper bulb changes
2 more PAR from high wattage bulbs
3 less light spillage