PDA

View Full Version : 55 gallon tank--puffer?

EvilE
12/18/2012, 10:09 PM
I have a 55 gallon tank, used to be a mixed reef tank, but now just basically has LR in it and a few fish. I am considering switching to a FOWLR setup, and maybe a single specimen. I would LOVE to have a porcupine puffer, but realize it will outgrow my 55 gallon. Is there any Puffers that are cool that wont outgrow it? Or could I keep a single volitans lionfish in there? Or would it HAVE to be dwarf? (didnt have luck with one years ago).

Woodchuck12
12/19/2012, 05:17 PM
Can't speak for puffers but a volitans would out grow your tank fairly quickly as they become about the size of a basketball.

namxas
12/19/2012, 06:22 PM
Puffer-wise, you're pretty much limited to tobies (Canthagaster sp.).

You don't have to go with dwarf lionfish...there are medium-bodied lions that would work fine in a 55 gal: Pterois mombassae, P. radiata, P. antennata, P. sphex, altho if you go with lionfish, puffers are pretty much out of the question.

The medium lionfish are all super gorgeous fish.

EvilE
12/20/2012, 10:37 PM
Puffer-wise, you're pretty much limited to tobies (Canthagaster sp.).

You don't have to go with dwarf lionfish...there are medium-bodied lions that would work fine in a 55 gal: Pterois mombassae, P. radiata, P. antennata, P. sphex, altho if you go with lionfish, puffers are pretty much out of the question.

The medium lionfish are all super gorgeous fish.

Cool! Thanks! Common names?

BossHoggin
12/21/2012, 01:57 AM
I would go with a fuzzy dwarf lionfish or the antennata lionfish (common names). They are on the hardier and easier to find side of M lions.

namxas
12/21/2012, 11:38 AM
P. mombassae = Mombasa lionfish
P. radiata = radiated/clearfin lionfish
P. antennata = antenna lionfish
P. sphex = Hawaiian lionfish (not to be confused with D. barberi, AKA Green Hawaiian lionfish)

Right now, there have been more Mombasas and radiatas showing up in the trade than any of the other mediums. P. mombassae is VERY hardy once acclimated, and are beautiful fish.

Fuzzies are almost always available.

Check out our "Quick Stats" page for photos and quick facts about each species:

Lionfish Lair Quick Stats Page (http://www.lionfishlair.com/quickstats/quickstats.shtml)

rossco838
12/21/2012, 02:44 PM
If you are set on a puffer I would stay with Toby puffers or you can get yourself a freshwater/brackish green spot puffer and slowly switch him over to full salt. I have a green spot I switched over and he is very active and quite fun to watch but they stay small I've had mine for 3 years and it hasn't grown more than an inch in the 3 years

EvilE
12/22/2012, 12:31 AM
Thanks everyone, I have to look into said fish and make a good decision....

viggen
12/23/2012, 03:36 PM
No to the green spot.... They get to mean and...... Ugly :(

Yes to the Toby puffer.... They stay small and don't have the attitude....

I also would skip the lion. Cool at first then they get boring since they just lay around and do nothing.

I would stick with fish that would give your tank a bit of activity.

EvilE
12/23/2012, 07:44 PM
No to the green spot.... They get to mean and...... Ugly :(

Yes to the Toby puffer.... They stay small and don't have the attitude....

I also would skip the lion. Cool at first then they get boring since they just lay around and do nothing.

I would stick with fish that would give your tank a bit of activity.

Great advice, thanks!! Any tankmates that work with a Toby Puffer?

hossa81
12/23/2012, 10:54 PM
Darf angelfish would work well. You can also try a snowflake eel if you wanted.