PDA

View Full Version : Apex jr owners question

brett7768
12/19/2012, 08:48 AM
Thinking about picking up apex jr. Can it be connected to your home network wirelessly? How difficult is it to do so? I read some of the manual online and things like "manually configure interface" scare me. Im not a computer programmer but I'm not a cave man either. Any help/advice is appreciated.

Cbechdel
12/19/2012, 08:55 AM
Its really not bad.

Check out the users guide posted at Neptune website, the author did a fantastic job i think of "dumbing down" the network stuff so us commoners can understand it!

Just get the appropriate wireless bridge gizmo (NOT anything like a USB stick - you cant plug USB devices into Apex anywhere or you will fry it) as suggested in manual.

You can operate it wirelessly, though it isn't technically supported, however there will be times when you MUST plug direct to network cable such as firmware updates and possibly troubleshooting if needed at any point, so just make sure you put the unit in a place where you can still run a temporary network cable when needed .

I started to go wireless with mine, but ended up just running a network cable so I had no issues with updates when they come out.

jerpa
12/19/2012, 08:55 AM
I have mine hardwired but the wireless setup isn't any more difficult, it just requires a few more steps. It was easier than I expected it to be after reading the manual. Neptune's support can walk you through it if you have issues though.

brett7768
12/19/2012, 09:05 AM
So the wireless bridge gizmo doesn't come with it?

Mstefa1
12/19/2012, 09:34 AM
So the wireless bridge gizmo doesn't come with it?

Common sense says that if it isn't officially supported then it wouldn't come with it. :lolspin:

I use a wireless bridge to connect my Apex lite to my network. Very easy to setup but if your looking to connect remotely then you will need additional knowledge... Especially if your routing multiple subnets. Generally networking equipment isn't referred to as a gizmo so you may want to seek advise from someone who can install it for you.

brett7768
12/19/2012, 07:33 PM
I just wanna know what I need to hook up the apex jr without hardwiring to my router which is across the room.

Mstefa1
12/20/2012, 08:31 AM
You need a properly configured wireless bridge.

KCombs
12/20/2012, 01:05 PM
I used one of those Ethernet over home wiring gizmos....it worked fine

AT_Hiker
01/05/2013, 08:56 AM
Well the first thing you need is a wireless router, which I assume you already have, then I believe you just need a wireless gaming adapter (commonly used to wirelessly connect a video game console to a network).

Something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/MCB04704N-Wireless-Gaming-Network-Playstation-3/dp/B0035ISI30