PDA

View Full Version : Can someone please explain the Zeo system

rjd0521
12/19/2012, 05:02 PM
I have seen some of the most beautiful tank running a Zeo system.

Yes, I read zeovit.com and it is still very unclear to me.

If not too complicated, I wanted to run that system in my tank.

Can someone give me the shorter version on how to run it?

Thanks

brandon429
12/19/2012, 08:29 PM
heres the summary

the heart of the system is ultra low nutrients via big skimmer and some go beyond that to include GFO and big water changes. whatever keeps N and P lowest, because higher concentrations of waste lend a darkening/browning of color (along with algae problems) and the heart of the zeovit system is to be ultra clean and brightly colored...your sps

so once the system is stripped clean by using a system of proprietary flocculants (chemicals that bring together bacteria and waste on suspended particles in the system, the bacteria have also uptaken N and P) and heavy skimming, you have to add back their line or similar lines of elements and amino acids that have been removed by the earlier steps.

They are getting better at predicting which elements, and in what ratio, go along with amino acid supplements to draw out and preserve colors in certain corals, so you use their dosing system to put these factors back in. If you do it right, you get the rainbow gardens we all see. Some setbacks/imperfections are the tedious testing and dosing required to achieve that status, and, overstripping of nutrients that can kill off your target corals.

Some recent tanks of the month here have just as much coloration without being that sensitive to nutrients, so there are many ways to skin a gato. and that my friend is a zeovit summary
B

bertoni
12/19/2012, 10:07 PM
They don't tell us what's in their products, so some guessing is required. They might have some flocculants in them. In addition, they seem to have a carbon source, I believe, and various additives for nutrients. We don't know what effects the various additives actually have, and it likely varies from tank to tank.

brandon429
12/19/2012, 10:24 PM
isnt the balling method another offshoot? it seems to be more common in foreign tanks I will go back and reread this years totm here to see if anyone is using these type methods

bertoni
12/19/2012, 10:38 PM
The Balling method is the basis for the 2-parts. It's a system of supplementing calcium, alkalinity, magnesium, and trace elements. There's a number of variants. I guess the Zeo products might include Balling method supplements.

rjd0521
12/20/2012, 10:38 AM
Have you guys tried or is running a Zeo tank?

What is the approximate cost per year for 200 gallon total water.