PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic or Glass tank

longdangler
12/19/2012, 07:43 PM
I'm in the market for a new tank, 180G+, so should I go glass or acrylic? The reason I ask is I found a used one (300g) for a good price. I am 3hr drive away and have only seen pictures. So is that worth it, or should I go glass? or just buy new for either?

Painted skin
12/19/2012, 08:34 PM
I like acrylic for many reasons, but just don't like the fact they scratch easy. I have glass and they don't scratch as easy, but some how I always ending with some.

jasimek
12/19/2012, 08:35 PM
I had an acrylic that scratched easily and then looked bad. I went with glass now and it is much better

longdangler
12/19/2012, 08:40 PM
I know acrylic scratches, but then can be buffed out. Do they really scratch that easy and how is the cleaning? If it's a nightmare. I will just go with a new glass. It will not be a bare bottom like my current glass tank

nanito
12/19/2012, 08:44 PM
I would get glass. Acrylic is good but glass isn't bad and it wont get scratched as easy as acrylic

R1junkie
12/19/2012, 08:45 PM
well after owning both and spending countless hours polishing scratches out of an acrylic i can say i would never buy another, they seem to scratch if you look at them funny. will be looking to replace mine with a glass one at some point.

James77
12/19/2012, 08:49 PM
It kind of depends on you with the cleaning and scratches. If you have the patience to clean carefully every single time you clean, then the scratches will be a minimal issue. Having the ability to buff them out means little considering it not exactly like windexing the front of the glass to buff scratches out....it takes a good amount of work using progressively finer sanding media.

While glass scratches, and is pretty much permanent, it is really a non issue. I have maybe half a dozen fine scratches you have to look for in my 120 that I have had for 5 years or so. That is with zero attention to not scratching the glass, including inadvertently dredging the mag cleaner through sand and using metal drywall knives to scrape :).

If the used acrylic tank is in excellent condition and a steal, it may be worth a shot. If you need to buff the crap out of it to make it look like new then it may be a waste. Personally on tanks, I will not go with anything other than new after several mediocre experiences with them.

longdangler
12/19/2012, 09:09 PM
Kinda the way I am leaning. It's hard to pass up the price, and I have gotten used and ended up with tons of scratches I didn't see at first. New price is a killer, but worth it in the long run. I haven't had much luck used :( except on equiptment