PDA

View Full Version : Harlequin shrimp-how do I know when her star is dead?

harleychic
12/19/2012, 08:40 PM
After waiting forever for a mated pair of harleys (and one unsuccessful attempt with what was supposed to be a mated pair), I was at the LFS and saw the biggest most beautiful female that I stole for $20. She's been doing really well for several weeks now. I have read everything I can, (I had a pair ages ago), and the Chuck's Addiction article was especially informative. http://www.chucksaddiction.com/harlequinshrimp.html
I am following his suggestions on feeding, water changes, etc., I am just wondering how to tell when the star she is feeding on is dead so I can remove it promptly? In 3 weeks she's had 2 which I took away before I thought they were dead, just in case.
Also, I am wondering if I need to be testing for and/or dosing iodine since I am doing very frequent water changes. It is a 6 gal tank, she is the only inhabitant besides a snail and 2 hermits. I do 1 gal once a week, unless she is feeding, and then I do a smaller change every day or every other day. She was out and about last night, when I cam home tonight I found her hanging out in her cave with a perfect molt sitting outside it. Any thoughts on these questions appreciated!