PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP .. Hair Alge has taken over

Antman
12/19/2012, 08:59 PM
:angryfire:Hello all ..my 24g nano has been completly taken over by hair alge .. I am trying to remove as much as i can and doing a 6 gallon water change ,,But its almost a losing battle
Please help what should I do
Thanks

kissman
12/19/2012, 09:06 PM
Lower phosphates and nitrates run GFO In a reactor do water changes with RO/DI water not tap watet

Ambition
12/19/2012, 09:54 PM
You are going to have to reduce nitrates (NO3) and phosphates (PO4) from your tank. Running GFO in a reactor will help quite a bit with the PO4 levels. Larger water changes with fresh saltwater mixed in RO/DI water, that is matching in salinity and temp. will help with the NO3. When doing water changes, be sure that you siphon out detritus as well as siphon the sand bed if the grain size of the sand allows you to do so.

Also, make sure you aren't over stocked. To be sure, could you share your stocking list as well as the filtration you have on the tank? If you don't have a skimmer, one would help as well. A skimmer will remove organics before they break down and create NO3 and PO4.

jarvasio
12/19/2012, 09:57 PM
I had the same problem but in my 75 gallon. I cut my lights off for about a week, I pulled as much as I could off the rocks and my yellow tang I didn't feed very much and he took care of the rest. I also did water changes more frequently.

Antman
12/19/2012, 10:25 PM
I use RO/DI from my LFS . chemi pure elite ...Purigen...and Phosguard now ..
I only have 2 fish ( lost 2 durring the huricane) No skimmer
Its a 24Gjbj
I just removed a few pieces of coral rock that were covered in the hair alge and pulled as much as I could out by hand and did a 6 gallon water change I will put in fresh chemi pure elite ...Purigen...and Phosguard in a few days

brandon429
12/19/2012, 11:10 PM
Antman

Want to see something totally worth your time

Look in nanos forum, thread called pico reef pest algae problem challenge

Look at the pics on the last page

rocsec1
12/20/2012, 06:59 AM
I had the same problem and did all of the things you are supposed to do. I also got a sea hare. That thing eat the all of it up in 2 weeks. It was amazing what it could eat. It is now in my sin's frag tank to clean up some algae. I am going to take it back to the lfs when it is done with it's work.

brandon429
12/20/2012, 07:55 AM
Hare...dont know if its worthy of its own religious chant or a new haircut but yes we cure tanks by the thousands
:)

It's also relevant because on the last page is a 24 gallon tank