PDA

View Full Version : connectivity issue with airport extreme

waverz
12/20/2012, 10:28 AM
A friend called me the other day needing help connecting to his Apex.
He uses Mac stuff which I am not really familiar with but was able to figure it out for the most part.

All of the devices plugged into the airport extreme had an ip of 10.0.1.x so I turned off DHCP on the Apex and assigned it:

IP of 10.0.1.9
Subnet 255.255.255.0
Gateway 10.0.1.1
DNS 10.0.1.1
Port 80

After making the changes for some reason it doesn't appear in the Airport Extremes device list nor am I able to connect or ping it.

I've tried resetting the apex, router, and mac book. Tried using a different mac book pro as well as iphone and nothing will connect to it.

I've probably setup 10 Apex's for members in my club. This is the first Mac network I've tried and of course I can't get it to work.

Any advice?

JustinFromAL
12/20/2012, 11:34 AM
If you set a static IP it won't appear in the DHCP list. You should still be able to connect to it however. Double check and make sure you didn't typo the IP or the gateway, that would be my first guess.

PotRoast
12/20/2012, 12:33 PM
I checked your numbers against mine and everything looks good. Look for typos and spaces before numbers. I had the same problem recently and realized I had a space before one of my numbers

waverz
12/20/2012, 01:26 PM
Been through them several times, it just makes no sense what so ever.

Even with DHCP on it wouldn't show up in the device list. I am wondering if it's a Ethernet cable issue. That's about the only thing I haven't tried. Weird how I was able to connect to it via ethernet cable for a couple times but never wireless. Now I can't connect at all.

JustinFromAL
12/20/2012, 02:20 PM
Latest firmware up on the Airport?

waverz
12/20/2012, 02:36 PM
Latest firmware up on the Airport?

VERY doubtful. I was setting this up for a friend of mine. Doubt he has ever updated the firmware on anything unless it would do it itself.

Man I hate mac stuff. :headwallblue:

JustinFromAL
12/20/2012, 06:50 PM
I hear ya, I have to deal with it in a corporate network environment, give that a try sometime, lol.

I would roll up the firmware just to be safe, you've checked all the obvious stuff so I'm afraid I'm not really sure where to go from here. Possibly a bad port on the router? Try swapping it with a known good port?

waverz
12/20/2012, 07:16 PM
I hear ya, I have to deal with it in a corporate network environment, give that a try sometime, lol.

I would roll up the firmware just to be safe, you've checked all the obvious stuff so I'm afraid I'm not really sure where to go from here. Possibly a bad port on the router? Try swapping it with a known good port?

Tried different port on router, no luck.

I hate not being able to figure out networking problems.
It's been keeping me up at night even though it's not even mine.