PDA

View Full Version : Algae to fish ratio.

Jackie Blue90
12/21/2012, 09:02 AM
My hair algae is getting a bit ridiculous. I was wondering, I already put in a order to my LFS for a Acanthurus tennenti and was thinking, should I get some turbo snails or maybe a lawnmower to help "mow' the algae down? Will that be too many herbivores?

My tank is 125g

downbeach
12/21/2012, 09:31 AM
I would look for a smaller fish for your tank. Some of the Bristletooth Tangs would be a better fit.
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-07/hcs3/index.php
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/ft/index.php
If it's a palatable algae, its hard to beat a few Turbo Snails to help knock it down.
Ultimately low P and N will keep the "nuisance" type of "algae" in check. So, practicing good husbandry, and patience, is key.

Jackie Blue90
12/21/2012, 09:42 AM
Thank you!

sponger0
12/21/2012, 11:21 AM
Instead of relying on critter to take care of your algae, try nutrient control. Such as less feeding, phosphate reactors or algae turf scrubbers.

The is no guarantee critters will even touch the stuff.

Jackie Blue90
12/21/2012, 01:36 PM
Copy. My friend had lots of algae in her 150 so she bought some turbo snails. Her tank is pristine now!
Thanks for the knowledge!!!!

nanoreefer1000
12/21/2012, 07:11 PM
Instead of relying on critter to take care of your algae, try nutrient control. Such as less feeding, phosphate reactors or algae turf scrubbers.

The is no guarantee critters will even touch the stuff. Agreed big time

Ambition
12/21/2012, 07:42 PM

The is no guarantee critters will even touch the stuff.

Exactly. In addition to that, the critters that eat the algae will add file for the algae as they poop too. Lowering nitrates and phosphates is what you want to do rather than add fish.

Jackie Blue90
12/21/2012, 07:46 PM
Wouldn't I want algae growth if I want herbivores such as some tangs? Or are you saying since I have possibly too much that's a sign something is wrong? This is just frustrating. I hate hearing things from sources and having other sources say differently.

woodnaquanut
12/21/2012, 11:57 PM
This is just frustrating. I hate hearing things from sources and having other sources say differently.

Your only solution to this is read only ONE book, don't talk to anyone about fish and NEVER post on RC asking 'what should I do'!

:)

Jackie Blue90
12/22/2012, 08:36 AM
Ha thank you.

mastersonr
12/22/2012, 09:12 AM
I agree it can be hit or miss with turbo snails. I have seen some clean a rock with green or hair algae completely clean in a day or two. I have also seen them leave one completely alone, especially if the hair algae gets long.

mastersonr
12/22/2012, 09:35 AM
you have to watch turbo snails too. They will fall off the rocks or glass. I also have a blenny that loves to tip them over. If they don't land right you have to flip them back over in a few hours or they will be toast. I too was hoping they would do a better job with algae control but I have not had that much luck with them.

Jackie Blue90
12/22/2012, 09:44 AM
you have to watch turbo snails too. They will fall off the rocks or glass. I also have a blenny that loves to tip them over. If they don't land right you have to flip them back over in a few hours or they will be toast. I too was hoping they would do a better job with algae control but I have not had that much luck with them.

Thanks for the info!

JohnniG
12/22/2012, 09:44 AM
Good question :)

J2T
12/22/2012, 03:54 PM
Astrea turbos will, but I've never had any issues with Mexican turbos not being able to right themselves. I avoid astreas anymore because of that