PDA

View Full Version : Crocea Clam Placement

medic155
12/21/2012, 12:29 PM
Hello! I just purchased my first clam from LiveAquaria, a Vietnam Ultra Crocea, and was looking for suggestions on placement. I have a AquaticLife 4 Bulb T5 fixture. Here is a picture of my tank for reference.

http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r551/medic155/2012-12-18_18-44-37_928.jpg

I was thinking the left side of the tank on top of the rock; directly above the bubble coral. Does that sound like an okay placement? Also, is light acclimation for Clam's the same as corals, i.e. no lights the first day, and gradually increase amount of light over the next week or two to full capacity? Thank you for any input!

downbeach
12/21/2012, 12:50 PM
I think I'd try it on the sand bed first.

Here's some reading:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-10/jf/index.php

moliken
12/21/2012, 02:29 PM
put it as high as you can. are the bulbs a couple months old? if brand new, i'd acclimate it over the course of a week, 1/3 at a time. if not, put it midway up now and at top soon.

mginn
12/21/2012, 03:43 PM
I have the same lighting system but six bulb and my crocea is doing well at the top of the tank on rock in intense light.

klepto
12/21/2012, 10:26 PM
As others have said; place it as high as possible- within a reasonable time frame. If your bulbs are old, then placing it up high immediately will be fine. I'm keeping a T. Crocea under a 4 bulb t5 fixture, but it is placed as high as possible. This is a light loving species. Ideally, the byssal threads will attach to a smaller piece of live rock/tile etc. so that you can move it without inducing too much stress.

Be sure to monitor your alkalinity/calcium/magnesium if you aren't already to ensure success.

ange062
12/27/2012, 03:03 AM
put it as high as you can. are the bulbs a couple months old? if brand new, i'd acclimate it over the course of a week, 1/3 at a time. if not, put it midway up now and at top soon.

+1, high and on rock.

cichlidsrcool
01/07/2013, 08:48 PM
start on bottom and acclimate then move up alittle every week untill its midway or better

moliken
01/07/2013, 09:23 PM
start on bottom and acclimate then move up alittle every week untill its midway or better
too slow, unnecessary, for those bulbs. 1/2 way up for 4 days to a week or a bit less, then in its final topmost spot.

tommyz44
01/12/2013, 09:01 AM
I have actually NEVER had good luck with crocea higher. Maximas i have but crocea for me has always done best on the sandbed with some rubble or crushed coral around it. I just purchased a squamosa from LA ans have had the same luck. Anytime they are on the rock they always seem to jump for me. A freind of mine also had 5 clams 4 of which are sand bed or very close too. I wont argue the higher the better but IME mine have always done best on the floor.

moliken
01/13/2013, 08:18 AM
tommy, have the clams attached to rock/rubble when in the sandbed? if so, that's the grab they need in odrer to be stable up in the rocks. mine always spent a time grabbing, then move those guys UP