PDA

View Full Version : Ai nano (2) + biocube 29

jmifland
12/21/2012, 01:38 PM
I am downsizing to a Coralife BioCube 29 from my 40B with 20H sump. I don't have as much room or time for a larger aquarium in the new apartment. I have been looking at retro-fit kits from both RapidLED and Stevesleds. It is going to cost somewhere around $300 which has gotten me to consider using the two AI Nano Sol Blue LED fixtures that I already have.

I placed one inside the hood of the aquarium near the center and at night there was a concentrated beam of light since the light isn't too far from the surface. I have two of these fixtures though and I think that it could work if I placed one on either side of the hood. If anything it would give me beams on both sides but I could use those specific areas for corals that require more lighting while placed lower light requirement corals around those areas.

I didn't notice a lot of heat coming from the enclosed hood and that was without the biocube fan running. It was also just sitting on the clear plastic which wouldn't be the case if I installed them as follows:

I was going to drill two holes through the top of the hood and make it so that both lights were suspended inside the canopy. I would then installed 2 60mm fans into the two available slots to help pull the hot air out of the hood to avoid any heat issues.

http://www.rapidled.com/60mm-vantec-stealth-fan-kit/

How do you think this would work? I already have them and have no use for them if I get a retro-fit kit which would force me to sell them plus the controller.