PDA

View Full Version : Is salinity monitor necessary?

Green_Lionfish
12/21/2012, 02:03 PM
I was thinking about getting Apex module to monitor salinity level. Is it necessary?

Allmost
12/21/2012, 02:08 PM
you need to decide that :)

I test my salinity with refractometer once or twice a week. its accurate.

conductivity is accurate too, and it monitors it, so less work on you.

it is important to keep stable salinity, but not important if you get reading from refractometer or salinity monitor.

HTH,

downbeach
12/21/2012, 02:08 PM
Not if you have a refractometer.

disc1
12/21/2012, 02:11 PM
Generally if you have a good ato or keep your tank topped off regularly then salinity isn't going to go anywhere fast. Keeping an eye on it once every couple of weeks will usually suffice.

KCombs
12/21/2012, 02:12 PM
I haven't checked my salinity in months...
never saw the need to

Green_Lionfish
12/21/2012, 07:53 PM
Thank you so much everyone. I appreciate the comments.

I haven't checked my salinity in months...
never saw the need to

Wow...what's the secret?

darkiss
12/21/2012, 07:59 PM
I check mine weekly because I skim wet and have an ato system in place.

o2manyfish
12/21/2012, 08:30 PM
I have the Apex with the Conductivity Probe. With a good portion of my system outside I get huge evaporation year round.

With the Apex I can keep track that evaporation and top off is all staying in check.

Depending on your Topoff system, I think the Conductivity probe is valuable to keep track if it ever goes awry.

Dave B

thegrun
12/21/2012, 09:52 PM
The one place where it can come in handy is when you want to monitor your tank remotely. I was on vacation and had an ATO malfunction that was easy to diagnose and fix remotely because I had a conductivity probe. That said, it is an expensive item to add on the remote chance you may someday need it. I have since programed my ATO to shut off if the salinity level drops, a nice back-up feature.