PDA

View Full Version : Digital Aquatics

gchaney
12/22/2012, 02:48 PM
Just kind of curious to see how many people are still using the Digital Aquatics RKE or RKL? Really starting to debate there commitment based on the almost three year delay in the salinity probe, no mac support or even showed desire in making it a future project, and almost two years since the last software update.

TruReef
12/22/2012, 02:52 PM
I'm still running two RKLs.. IMO if it aint broke....don't fix it.. Its features work fine for what I need it to do.

solitude127
12/22/2012, 03:21 PM
I'm still running a RKE.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III

fishyguy7
12/22/2012, 04:08 PM
I am currently running a RKE but just ordered roughly 1000 dollars worth of apex stuff. I was in need of a second ph probe for my new 600g system and was told by DA that I can not run 2 of the sl1 modules due to there lack if galvanic isolation. I asked about the sl2v2 and was told that they have no eta on the unit so I gave up!

bugs713
12/22/2012, 04:10 PM
I'm running 2 RKE's and one RKL and I have also had the same commitment concerns with this company! With that said, I no longer recommend them unless buying used, but I have had no problems with their equipment, very pleased in fact.

They seem to have the makings of a company on their way out...

benjc
12/22/2012, 06:45 PM
I'm running an RKL, 2 PC4s and an SW5; if I had to do it over; I'd go with Apex.

sminker
12/22/2012, 06:48 PM
Apex all the way. I'm really happy i didn't go the other way when I ordered.

Buganddoug
12/22/2012, 06:59 PM
I am very happy with my Digital Aquatics RKE, SL1, MLC they work great for the past three years.

Skipponator
12/22/2012, 08:03 PM
I am running an RK2 and an RKL. I ran an RK1 in the past when they were released. I hate the RKL and love the RK/RK2. However I will likely switch to an Apex soon.

Ghstwolf
12/22/2012, 08:09 PM
Currently running the RKL.. It's my first tank controler and so far I am enjoying the ease of it. When/if I start getting my advanced corals such as SPS I might upgrade to the PH module.. But for now I'm happy with the Light version..

bnumair
12/22/2012, 08:16 PM
i am currently running rke and apex both side by side and its been on for last 2 yrs now. i have had my share of problem with both but Apex seems to be a bit more stable than RKE.
if u goto my blog u will find a thread i started RKE VS APEX.

rtparty
12/22/2012, 11:53 PM
Been running an RKL for almost 3 years. It has had issues for 2 of those. I have it rigged to work right now. It controls my heater and lights, that's it. When I feel like forking over $200+ I will be getting the Apex Jr. No way I'd spend money for a new product from Digital Aquatics. I don't see them being around long.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Michigan Mike
12/23/2012, 02:01 AM
I'm new to controllers but am looking into them, I've narrowed it down to Apex for its simplicity but I have a question about the apex Jr. How does it work without a display? It may be a dumb question but all I have is a nano and want it to control my heater , ATO, and my t5 lights...that's it for now but I'm sure I will want it to do more later.
Apex lite or apex Jr?

rtparty
12/23/2012, 02:21 AM
I'm new to controllers but am looking into them, I've narrowed it down to Apex for its simplicity but I have a question about the apex Jr. How does it work without a display? It may be a dumb question but all I have is a nano and want it to control my heater , ATO, and my t5 lights...that's it for now but I'm sure I will want it to do more later.
Apex lite or apex Jr?

The junior now comes with a display.

Michigan Mike
12/23/2012, 02:32 AM
The junior now comes with a display.

What, it does?
I have an iPad & iPhone anyway..I guess one of the main things I want to add is a PH probe for my kalk and autotopoff to keep it from adding too much kalk.

Michigan Mike
12/23/2012, 02:48 AM
I don't want to pay for a display if I do not need it.
I'm thinking the apex jr ($150) and purchase a PM module ($85) and PH probe ($45-70). All together should be around $275-305 depending on what grade of PH probe I get.
Is standard grade ph probe good enough or is a lab grade probe better? I've heard they don't last long anyway so for the purpose of shutting off an ATO/Kalkwasser does it matter much?

gchaney
12/23/2012, 09:01 AM
I used the original DA probe for about two year and am know using a brs probe seams to be fine.

Dave Thebrewguy
12/23/2012, 09:49 AM
I first entertained the idea of adding a controller last spring after I saw a low sale price on the RKL. I did a little research and found that I could not expand it enough to cover my anticipated requirements. Next I looked at the Apex Jr, I could upgrade it enough to cover my list but that would be it, it would be at it's limit and I'd have spent enough to buy the RKE or full Apex by then.
I looked into just going for the RKE or Apex but those just weren't in the budget at the time. I almost gave up on getting a controller, then I checked out the Reef Angel. The base unit did everything I needed right out of the box and a couple of add ons would take care of everything I expected to need in the future. There would also be plenty of room for expansion in the future if something unexpected came along.
I gotta say, I'm very happy with my RA. I've added the things I wanted to add, I still have less than $450 in it and that $450 was in several "bite-size" chunks rather than all at once.
I still try to keep up with what's new with the other controllers. I have to admit that the Apex looks to be a great controller as well and I might have gone that direction if price wasn't an issue. Still, my RA does everything a full Apex would do and I can't figure out what benefit the Apex has for the extra money. Reef Keeper is a different story, I'm glad I didn't buy one. I've heard enough horror stories about the lack of support and issues with products to see the writing on the wall. DA looks to me, like a company that is struggling to stay afloat. If there were anyone working on R&D there would be a working salinity probe by now, or a SL2v2, or ..........

Obviously, I'll skip the poll since there's no answer that fits me. I do find the selection of possible answers a bit odd. "Currently own," used to own" and "considering purchase" make sense, but there could have been a "own one but hope to move on soon" if you want to keep the poll "DA answers only." OTOH, "don't use and don't plan to" is just out in left field, you might as well add "looked at, but bought something else" and "what's a controller."

gchaney
12/23/2012, 09:57 AM
I hear you I didnt think about that when I made the poll. Im not seeing a way to edit the poll is this possible?

atreis
12/23/2012, 04:31 PM
RKE here, but don't recommend them. At this point I consider it a fairly sizable sunk cost but am almost, but not quite, unhappy enough with it to prioritize replacing it.

aandfsoccr04
12/23/2012, 04:34 PM
Currently running the apex.

solitude127
12/23/2012, 04:39 PM
Apex all the way. I'm really happy i didn't go the other way when I ordered.

Seems like the OP isn't asking between Apex or DA

sminker
12/23/2012, 05:04 PM
Seems like the OP isn't asking between Apex or DA

Really? There's 21 posts in this thread (22 now), a third of those talk about the Apex, and you had to single me out. Did you even read the thread? The OP seems to be questioning his current controller and I was giving feedback for an alternate unit. There was 2 other Apex comments before mine.

Shard
12/23/2012, 05:33 PM
I used the RK2, RKL, and RKE (multiple units). I switched all my controller equipment over to the Apex line.

saf1
12/23/2012, 06:14 PM
Went with Reef Angel. I've owned Neptune's before and they are rock solid with great support. However, can't justify the price regardless if it is the jr or not.

Open source and up front cost. Can't beat it in my opinion. Currently controlling pumps, ph, temp, PWM/Lights and looking into ATO.

gchaney
12/23/2012, 07:36 PM
I think DA would benefit from open source software but just an opinion.

joseperezred
12/23/2012, 08:09 PM
I have an RKE with a SL1and 2 for about 3years or so since I first got into the saltwater hobby and never had any issues with them but I do hate the fact that I can't add much more if I wanted to. I will definitely be switching over soon.

solitude127
12/23/2012, 08:48 PM
Really? There's 21 posts in this thread (22 now), a third of those talk about the Apex, and you had to single me out. Did you even read the thread? The OP seems to be questioning his current controller and I was giving feedback for an alternate unit. There was 2 other Apex comments before mine.

Sorry, I didn't mean to single you out, just missed the other posts.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III