PDA

View Full Version : Weird cycle question

Tlecluyse
12/22/2012, 06:31 PM
Our tank has been cycling for the last 3 weeks and I am now getting some confusing readings. We have a 125 gallon with 20 gallon sump and 10 gallon refrigium. We used 75 lbs of rock from an established aquarium and 25 lbs of live rock from LFS. We used 80 lbs of dry sand and used ro water to fill. Salt has been maintained at 1.025 and temp between 77 and 80. When the tank was first started we fed the tank 1 cube of frozen shrimp each day for 4 days to kick the cycle off. We never actually saw a spike in ammonia, it has never been higher than .25. We have gotten the brown algea bloom and had a ton of bristle worms about 1 week ago. A that time our levels were at amm 0 nitrite .05 and nitrate 2.5. Now we are not seeing any bristle worms but there are little mounds of sand that have been moved around and are clear of algea. Our readings today are as follows.
Amm .25
Sal 1.025
Ph 8.2
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 2.5
Alk 2.0
Phosphate .25

We use the Red Sea test kit

I don't understand why the ammonia came back up. Is the tank ready for fish? Should we do a water change? Get a cleanup crew? Can we stock the refrigium? The tank was a Christmas present for the family and I was hoping to have at least 1 living thing in there before Christmas lol

Let me know your thoughts

Thank you
Taylor

thegrun
12/22/2012, 07:51 PM
If your test kit is accurate, no do not add any livestock until the ammonia drops to zero for at least a week. Most likely the 75 pounds of rock from an established aquarium initially kept the ammonia down, but die off from the LFS live rock has now overtaken the ability of your established rock to process it. Don't rush it, let things settle down. I would guess you've still got a couple of weeks ahead of you before the cycle is complete.

bnumair
12/22/2012, 07:52 PM
it could be testing error. i have a feeling when u used pretty much all live rock from established source u must have imported enough beneficial bacteria not to see a huge cycle. all u will see is a mini cycle.
ur best test at this time will be to throw another frozen cube in the tank. check for ammonia 24 hrs later. if u have no ammonia then ur tank is ready. do not add anything live till ammonia is 0. also u can take a sample to LFS for second opinion on ammonia results.

Steve Wright2
12/22/2012, 07:54 PM
I think that it is more a case of the cycle has just started, rather than started again

it may have taken some time for the living organisms on the rock you purchased to start dying of and creating the ammonia reading you now see

you put the live rock in new saltwater, and for a couple of weeks everything was OK, thereafter certain things started to die off/ decay, causing increased ammonia levels, which will account for more things dying off, until a balance is reached between the organisms producing waste, and the bacteria's ability to process it

then once balance is achieved the organisms increase , as do the bacteria to cope with each increase in bioload ( to a certain point)

once your ammonia has reached zero, and your nitrite, has done the same
then your ready for introduction of some of the CUC members IMO

Steve

Tlecluyse
12/22/2012, 08:05 PM
Ok should I be cleaning the algea off or let it be? Should I feed it every day? Should I change water? Add refrigium plants? How about lights?

bnumair
12/22/2012, 08:11 PM
i would test it with a cube in the tank and check ammonia tomorrow. if ammonia remains or increases then tank is still cycling but if ammonia does not increase and remains 0 then ur tank is cycled.
get a second opinion on the result but taking the sample to lfs or petco.

Steve Wright2
12/22/2012, 08:13 PM
cleaning the algae for aesthetic reasons would be fine IME

no need to change water until the ammonia and trites have zero'd IMO
no need lights at this stage, IMO

I would alllow the ammonia and trites to zero, and then depending on how long before 1st introduction, I may or may not ghost feed

Steve

Tlecluyse
12/22/2012, 08:28 PM
i would test it with a cube in the tank and check ammonia tomorrow. if ammonia remains or increases then tank is still cycling but if ammonia does not increase and remains 0 then ur tank is cycled.
get a second opinion on the result but taking the sample to lfs or petco.

I did the ammonia test again for good measure and it seemed to come out 0 or close to it maybe a slight ting of green. I will take ur advise and throw a cube in tonight and retest tomorrow at petco.... If I don't see any spike in anything woul you think I'm good to add?

bnumair
12/22/2012, 09:52 PM
yes, after putting a cube of frozen food and checking for ammonia and nitrites 24 hrs later and IF they come back 0 then yes ur tank has cycled and a water change will be next step then add stuff to ur refugium and clean up crew etc then fish.