PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Large Angels

shawpanther23
12/23/2012, 04:45 AM
I am interested in keeping large angelfish in a 245 gal fowlr community tank .I have 18 years experience in saltwater so this is nothing new for me,but I have always had smaller setups with your typical clowns,tangs,Pygmy angels and so on. Now, what Large angelfish would be a good choice for a community setup and also would it be possible to keep multiple angels ?

SDguy
12/23/2012, 08:18 AM
Depending on the dimensions of the tank and what else you want in there... I like Chaetodontoplus and Apolemichthys species angels. Also rock beauty, regal, and majestic angels don't get huge and mean. I tend to stay away from the really big angels like koran, queen, emp unless I have a massive tank.

Mrscribbled
12/23/2012, 10:22 AM
Depending on the dimensions of the tank and what else you want in there... I like Chaetodontoplus and Apolemichthys species angels. Also rock beauty, regal, and majestic angels don't get huge and mean. I tend to stay away from the really big angels like koran, queen, emp unless I have a massive tank.

I agree although I woukd shy away from rock beauty. Juveniles feed off other fish slime coat and adults require large quantities of sponge and are tough to acclimate. If your looking for some prized fish look into, scribbled, personifers, conspiculus, goldflake.

humaguy
12/23/2012, 10:30 AM
Interruptus would be nice...Navarchus too...good luck!

shawpanther23
12/23/2012, 12:17 PM
tank demensions are 30 wide 72 long 26 deep

Mrscribbled
12/23/2012, 01:32 PM
tank demensions are 30 wide 72 long 26 deep

6 feet isn't a whole lot of length. But I've found its easier to keep multiple angles together verses just two and is much easier than keeping multiple tangs together . As long as emperor, queens, passer, french, are not in the mix. A blue line Would do well in your tank also.

humaguy
12/23/2012, 06:05 PM
still say a Navarchus...Interruptus...
A Joc would be nice...
Also forget a Cortez, too big..

shawpanther23
12/23/2012, 06:26 PM
Thank You for your imput, So if to say i got a blue line and or a majestic or some of the other less agressive angels would it be best to add at the same time and also to make them the last fish added? Not sure what a Joc is

kirkaz
12/23/2012, 06:48 PM
still say a Navarchus...Interruptus...
A Joc would be nice...
Also forget a Cortez, too big..

LOL, work within a budget much? Interruptus and even Joculator are far more than most people want to spend on a fish.

Black Velvet is a mediium sized angel with a great personality. Would do nicely with Blueline and Majestic.

SDguy
12/23/2012, 08:25 PM
Thank You for your imput, So if to say i got a blue line and or a majestic or some of the other less agressive angels would it be best to add at the same time and also to make them the last fish added? Not sure what a Joc is

IMO and IME dealing (QT, etc.) with mutlitple fish at the same time is often a lot more trouble and work than it is worth. Not to mention finding all the specimens you want at the same time isn't always easy. Fish can be added at different times. Just plan ahead, adding the least aggressive fish first. Acclimation boxes and/or eggcrate separations of the tank can also be used.

Joc = Centropyge joculator. An expensive less attractive version of C. bicolor http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p5/SDreefguy/smilies/leaving.gif

mrx66699
12/23/2012, 08:33 PM
Keeping multiple large and small angles is not hard at all with proper planning and the right conditions.......did you have something in mind like this.......sorry for the crappy video quality but you'll get the picture.......

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid17.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fb70%2Fmrx66699%2FVIDEO0075-1.mp4">

Mrscribbled
12/23/2012, 08:55 PM
I'd add the blue line first. Keep in mind blue girdled (majestic) are rather boring. Out ot the ten angles I currently have, my favorite are the scribbled, regal, and grey poma, and blueface.

humaguy
12/23/2012, 09:24 PM
I'd add the blue line first. Keep in mind blue girdled (majestic) are rather boring. Out ot the ten angles I currently have, my favorite are the scribbled, regal, and grey poma, and blueface.

Have never heard mention of a Navarchus as boring especially in the same breath as a grey poma...wow... but beauty is in the eye...

Navarchus is the smallest of the large angels and transition to adult coloration rather quickly and at a small size...they are also the prettiest of the "blue/white" baby Angels imo...

Juvi in transition...

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m537/humaguy/Navarchusjuvi_zps99a9d7e3.jpg

Adult...

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m537/humaguy/Navarchus_zpsd43700f5.jpg

shawpanther23
12/23/2012, 09:26 PM
yeah that video is awesome! yes that would be something i would like to work into.Looks like you have a large system what size tank ?

humaguy
12/23/2012, 09:28 PM
LOL, work within a budget much? Interruptus and even Joculator are far more than most people want to spend on a fish.

Black Velvet is a mediium sized angel with a great personality. Would do nicely with Blueline and Majestic.

Seeing as how a Conspic was mentioned in post #3 I thought I would toss them out...Conspics are nice but not worth the $ imo...

humaguy
12/23/2012, 09:30 PM

ps..what did you pay for your clubs, lol?

Mrscribbled
12/23/2012, 09:49 PM
Seeing as how a Conspic was mentioned in post #3 I thought I would toss them out...Conspics are nice but not worth the $ imo...

I agree conspics are over priced but quality marine has a lock on the cook islands so they charge what they want I guess. I love my grey poma, full of character. The blue girdled's if had were beautiful but just lacked personality. Kinda like my chrysurus. Maybe its just me lol

shawpanther23
12/24/2012, 05:42 AM
Mrscribbled, you mentioned a Blueline(Chaetodontoplus septentrionalis)? , but i see there is also a blue ring (Pomacanthus annularis )the blue ring is what I see more available is this what you are refering to ?

SDguy
12/24/2012, 06:59 AM
Mrscribbled, you mentioned a Blueline(Chaetodontoplus septentrionalis)? , but i see there is also a blue ring (Pomacanthus annularis )the blue ring is what I see more available is this what you are refering to ?

Both have similar color schemes... blue markings on a brown body. One with a white tail, the other yellow. Bluelines are more expensive, and not as readily available, but don't grow excessively large, like annularis do.

geaux xman
12/24/2012, 08:10 AM
Keeping multiple large and small angles is not hard at all with proper planning and the right conditions.......did you have something in mind like this.......sorry for the crappy video quality but you'll get the picture.......

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid17.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fb70%2Fmrx66699%2FVIDEO0075-1.mp4">

Thats an awesome collection of large fish...any chance we can get an HD quality video?

kirkaz
12/24/2012, 09:11 AM

Conspic is one of my favorites, love the eyes....but yes a bit overpriced

ps..what did you pay for your clubs, lol?

I work part time for Ping as an independent contractor, thus, my I 15 set was free of charge:beer:

Dr Colliebreath
12/24/2012, 10:15 AM
Thank You for your imput, So if to say i got a blue line and or a majestic or some of the other less agressive angels would it be best to add at the same time and also to make them the last fish added?

It would be safer to add them together but probably not necessary. I like quarantining two fish at a time so they get used to competing for food a bit and having other tankmates around. In addition, I don't keep my qt up all of the time so it lessens the amount of time the qt is up and running.

I frequently use an acclimation box when introducing new fish to a tank but I am not convinced it does much. All too often a fish that was ignored when in the acclimation box is beat on when released. There is no way to tell whether the acclimation box reduced the beating. :)

humaguy
12/24/2012, 11:07 AM
Conspic is one of my favorites, love the eyes....but yes a bit overpriced

I agree! i do love their eyes...they are quite beautiful but not at that price...

I work part time for Ping as an independent contractor, thus, my I 15 set was free of charge:beer:

You my friend are a very lucky man!!!

SDguy
12/24/2012, 11:57 AM
I frequently use an acclimation box when introducing new fish to a tank but I am not convinced it does much.

How long do you use it for? From what I've read here on RC people use them for too short a time period.

Dr Colliebreath
12/24/2012, 02:17 PM
How long do you use it for? From what I've read here on RC people use them for too short a time period.

I typically use them from 2 to 7 days. I use one made of eggcrate and a clear box (the AquaMedic fish trap). I have seen such widely varying results that I cannot see any pattern, but of course my personal sample certainly is not large enough to support any real conclusion.

I think it is worth using an acclimation box, but I feel the effect is quite limited and it depends upon the individual fish involved. Using an acclimation box, I have seen fish go after a new introduction that isn't a competitor for food and within a week or two ignore a different fish that is a competitor for food after some initial posturing. I of course feed the tank just before release, use a mirror, and release shortly before lights out so I can darken the tank until morning if necessary.

SDguy
12/24/2012, 03:13 PM
I use acclamation boxes for weeks not days... I think it works better that way

Mrscribbled
12/24/2012, 04:16 PM

Blue ring would outgrow your tank. Sorry I have expensive taste!

Dr Colliebreath
12/24/2012, 10:46 PM
I use acclamation boxes for weeks not days... I think it works better that way

Wow. How big is your acclimation box? My eggcrate one is about a one foot cube and the fish trap is about 10"x7"x7". I would have to rearrange the rock to get something much bigger in.

SDguy
12/25/2012, 06:45 AM
Small, but I've never used it on any fish larger than 3 inches.

mattsilvester
12/25/2012, 07:02 AM
Mixing Angels, Angelfishes in general.

In my opinion, there are two very important points that many people fail to mention or appreciate.

1. Learned Behaviour.
Angelfish are very smart; as a result their temperament is very variable, and is somewhat "learned". That means (to an extent) that if bought young, and your luck to get a more passive one, then they can be trained to be less aggressive. If you are fortunate to live in an area where several specimens are avaialbe to choose from, then if you spend time observing them (at least 10 minutes), and if you have an eye for it, you can select less assertive specimens. Ultimately however they cannot be denied their nature.

2. Growth & Longevity
If you buy a small 2-3" angel (or most species) it is going to take them a very long time to outgrow a reasonable sized tank (like your 245gal). We are talking years, not months. at least 3 years.... probably more like 4-5 years. Ask yourself, what could happen in that time frame which may result in you needing to shut down your tank; illness, hurricane, global financial crisis, divorce, change of job, etc. So, whilst you can plan (and should plan) to keep each and every fish for their entire life, there is a good chance that for some reason you will not do so - and a healthy, well adjusted angel fish is something that you will always find a home for if you give it away; my point - there are a couple of angels that growth very big, very like e.g. French angel.... but most, if you get them with suffient size diffrential, will adapt and learn to live with one another - anf if you have them still in 4-5 years time you need to make the call whether you want to upgrade or sell them on. My ethos has evolved to worrying about providing optimal care for my fish for a 1-2 year time frame..... and continuously review the status, and action accordingly.

Hope that gives you a different perspective on things.