PDA

View Full Version : Placement of tank

Ricki
12/23/2012, 06:49 AM
Who has their setup on wood flooring? Flooring warped? How do you protect your floor from salt and sump?

We lost our 180 gallon following hurricane 7 years ago. Now ordering 220 rimless starphire, 90 gallon sump/refug to be placed under. Custom stand.

We would like to know how to minimize damage to our floor.

Lez uk
12/23/2012, 06:58 AM
If it is any help I put a little tub with salt in it on top of a unit to remove the water from the air.

Chriskk
12/23/2012, 07:10 AM
You should coat the area the tank is going with a water resistant wood stain, paint, or epoxy, a dehumidifier would not be a bad idea either. Congrats on the new tank!!

bnumair
12/23/2012, 07:20 AM
i personally dont have my tank on wood floor but did setup a tank for my cousin on wood floor. we put water resistant tarp under the stand. also he places the tarp in ffront of the tank when doing maintainence work. floor under the wood is concrete so i have no idea about caving in or wood floor giving in over time due to weight. if u dont have concrete under then reinforcing the floor wil be a good option.

sleepydoc
12/23/2012, 08:55 AM
+1 on verifying the structural integrity/capacity first. A tank that big can put considerable stress on the joists. It's also going to be there a while, so best to do it right the first time.

My tank's on carpet, but I've seen/heard of a couple options:
1. Remove part of the floor and replace with tile.
2. Put some poly or other waterproof material underneath
3. Put extra coats of spar polyurethane underneath.

I would probably go with the first option; it's the most durable and would look good if done right, but it depends on what you do & don't want to do with the floor. If you put poly or some other waterproof barrier, you need to make sure nothing wicks underneath it at the edges, otherwise it may end up even worse.

Ricki
12/23/2012, 10:24 AM
Wood is over concrete foundation and has polyurethane finish. I am afraid that salt/ water from the sump will destroy the flooring. The 2 flooring options I have for placement is wood vs Spanish tile. The latter of the 2 is very uneven and would be a nightmare to level.

Would enclosing the back of the stand, for the most part, be sufficient in decreasing humidity?