PDA

View Full Version : GFO and Carbon in same reactor?

triguy
12/23/2012, 04:57 PM
I used to have a BRS single stage reactor and ran GFO and Carbon simultaneously with GFO on bottom and Carbon on top of that. Then I started running biopellets, so I got rid of the GFO.

I've upgraded to a 150g and decided not put the biopellets back online. I recently checked my po4 and got .13 I would like to run some GFO, but I only have a TLF reactor. Can I run both GFO and Carbon in this reactor? If so, can I mix them or do I need to try and keep them separated? I know the GFO would need to be replaced before the carbon, but I wouldn't mind changing both out at the same time, even if it was a bit early for the carbon.

If it is not suggested that I run them together in the TLF reactor, should I just put some carbon in a bag and throw it in the sump? I would like to not have to buy another reactor.

Catchoftheday
12/23/2012, 05:03 PM
i wonder the same thing tagging along

Rutrag
12/23/2012, 05:09 PM
I believe you can run them together. BRS has a video about running them together. If i remember correctly, you have to pack them mixed and tight together to keep the GFO from clumping and the carbon from grinding.

jerpa
12/23/2012, 05:23 PM
I run them together and have had no issues. I mix them for the reasons stated above. The negative is youmay be wasting one or the other since you can't change them independently.

triguy
12/23/2012, 05:41 PM
I run them together and have had no issues. I mix them for the reasons stated above. The negative is youmay be wasting one or the other since you can't change them independently.

What amounts of each are you using? And are you also putting them in a TLF reactor? I didn't like the way they tumbled in the BRS reactor.

I have a 150g sps dominant tank, what amounts do you recommend I start with. I have not been running any po4 reducing products at all on this tank, was hoping I could keep them in check with WC and macro in my fuge.

bskiba
12/23/2012, 06:11 PM
I do both in the reactor. gfo in the bottom and just over a half cup in the top section.

triguy
12/23/2012, 10:11 PM

Do you have a video of them tumbling?

csauer52
12/24/2012, 07:24 AM
I run both in a TLF550 reactor on m,y 150. I use 1 cup of each and I place them in a filter bag. Makes maint easy and also eliminates the need to rinse as the bag soaks up the dust. You rinse it out when you change media.

Easiest way to do it IMO....

reeferlover
12/24/2012, 07:29 AM
Why r u running the carbon i would be focused on getting thos phos down i never run carbon unless needed it just sits on my self i hsve a brs for that u can run them together but its not ideal