PDA

View Full Version : 'Splain this...

reefgeezer
12/23/2012, 05:05 PM
We only have a couple of LFSs left in town. Both have integrated holding systems for their fish. Neither isolate their fish in any way. There are fish is the system of both LFS #1 that obviously have ich (Oodinium and/or Cryptocaryon). However, when I buy healthy looking fish from one of them the fish survive QT and live happy healthy lives. When I but equally healthy looking fish from the other, they die in QT. The LFS that sells the fish that tend to survive uses UV, but I can't see any other difference in the systems. I'm also assuming thay have common suppliers.

Anyone else have this kind of experience?

aandfsoccr04
12/23/2012, 05:33 PM
I'd buy online if I were you.

OrQidz
12/23/2012, 06:05 PM
I would guess the UV is making the difference killing free swimming parasites? But no idea really. Glad you are using QT!

jschultzbass
12/23/2012, 06:21 PM
I have two LFS in my area and I buy strictly from LiveAquaria.com for the reasons you mentioned. Great company, you won't be disappointed.

zachfishman
12/23/2012, 07:09 PM
If they don't have common suppliers, one could be receiving fish collected with cyanide. There are many other possibilities too.

reefgeezer
12/23/2012, 10:27 PM
Yea, I learned my lesson about QT. I'd love to orderr on-line and have considered it many times. However, I haven't figured out how to make it economical. I just can't drop hundreds of dollars at a time to make shipping reasonable and I also can't stay home all day waiting for a Fed-ex delivery.

I'd appreciate everyone's advice as to how to order on-line economically (as possible) and what sort of delivery is best.

laugh
12/24/2012, 12:42 AM
Group order with other reefers in the area. Saturday delivery for extra $15. Economical and no time off work waiting for fish to arrive.

knowen87
12/24/2012, 01:01 AM
Saltwaterfish.com. You buy a reef cleaner package a get free shipping on the rest of the order. That or group buy with some other people. If you haven't already, find the local reef club and ask on there. In our local club there is a guy in the presidency that orders 2 or 3 times per year from a very reliable wholesaler. He passes the discount on to local members. It works out really nice.

zachfishman
12/24/2012, 08:35 AM
I haven't had any experience ordering online, but I wanted to share an impression of one retailer: Liveaquaria.com. Kevin Kohen (L.A. director) presented at our club (FMAS) earlier this year, and I was impressed by their practices, specifically how they quarantine and prep their fish - basically getting them eating and healthy - before they even list them for sale. They also go through great lengths to make sure the fish they're selling are actually the correct species (apparently there's a lot of misrepresentation and mislabeling going around; often for wrasses).

I know this seems like a shameless plug, but I would be confident ordering from them.

smoothdog
12/24/2012, 11:48 AM
Ask specifics about water parameters at both stores. One my be using hypo and the other not, if you are just dropping them in the QT tank at normal salinity without knowing the salinity they came from, that might explain it. Also, many stores use copper and or formaldehyde at therapeutic doses, if this isn't done right it can cause organ damage in the fish.

A good store will also hold a fish for at least a few days to make sure it is healthy after receiving. If your store won't do this I'd suspect unreliable supplier/collection and avoid it.

reefgeezer
12/24/2012, 02:21 PM
I watched employees of both stores testing water with old API test kits and swing arm type hydrometers. I doubt they know for sure what the parameters are. I drip acclimate fish into hypo for QT anyway, so knowing wouldn't cnange my process. I'm ready to buy the last few and more expensive fish. I don't want to buy them locally. I think maybe I've just been lucky with the fish from the one store.

Liveaquaria.com seems to be the way to go. Guess I just need to save up some cash.