PDA

View Full Version : Repainting an old stand.

Al
12/23/2012, 05:17 PM
I have a stand I built out of plywood about 15 years ago. It is holding up fine, but I have gotten to dislike the way it looks. It was given a few coats of poly inside and out, with two coats of white on the inside before the polyurethane went on. Since it is already sealed, would just sanding it, filling in the holes left by adding/removing equipment, then painting it with interior latex work, or am I leaving something out?

peppie
12/23/2012, 06:59 PM
Use some 220 grit sandpaper and rough up the surface. Paint with a good exterior gloss latex or oil base paint.

Fill and sand holes prior to the 220 sanding.

mattyp54
12/24/2012, 06:11 PM
I would use an appliances spray epoxy paint once it dries it looks good and is really resistant to the saltwater plus it is good for the inside of the hood to reflect the light back in the tank

Al
12/24/2012, 07:24 PM
Thanks, guys. Right now I'm trying to decide whether or not to just build a new stand. Either I have the place messy from building a new stand, or by temporarily moving my 50 gallon reef to two 15 gallon tanks.

mattyp54
12/24/2012, 11:19 PM
Build the new stand do it right the first time and you will never be disappointed later