PDA

View Full Version : gone on holiday and came back to near white corals

marthin
12/25/2012, 03:22 AM
Hi guys..
been trolling around this forum for ages.. too much inspiration to stay away.

this year has been hell with balling never adding up (parameters shifting like quicksand for no apparent reasons) light unit issues (got on the maxigrow UK bandwagon now back to ATI) and finally got my Ca reactor back on.
Amazingly.. the sps mostly survived (pure God given luck)
so, all become stabil with Ca reactor, Alk about 9.4, Ca 420+, Mg 1410 + and stabil for a few weeks.
all 54 Watt T5
5 Narva blue, 1 6500 GE and 2 10000K deltec. 2 blues on for 10 hours, all on for 7 hours.
Cheato started growing manic after a friend gave me a different sump light, always had small amount of bio pellets running, skimmer upgrade from nac7 to nac 9 (tractor sounding beast)
slowly corals came back, colours starting to brighten, nice deep colours..
so, up the biopellets a bit and then waited 3 weeks before holiday..
harvested chaeto to the point of having very little left.

all going splendid, feeding 3 cubes of frozen for the 11 fish, every second day reefpaste blob in the tank.
packed for holiday, check the tank

blimey.. mp40 down again!!cleaned and got it working.. phew
thought, let me put in a korallia (only thing i had) just incase
of to South Africa for a hot holiday and early Xmas with the family...

came back

mp40 kaput!!! nil.. naza.. dead..
whole tank cloaked in a dark, very fine hairy type of algae bacteria..
corals are near white.. mostly still alive and well.. but white
feeding was the same, chaeto has completely filled the sump in just 3 weeks
CO2 ran out on a 5 liter bottle (supposedly full attached day before we left) about 6 days before return. so nada CO2 in Ca reactor.. alk 8.6 ish (thought crikey.. not bad)

so, what is going on? Friend who looked after it is German.. and PURE German efficiency.. even kept a chart to what he was doing.. how good is that

50 ml more biopellets = over filtration?
The lack of flow = too little metabolic exchange = coral bleaching (this is a hot favourite for me as the smothered type of algae/bact covered all the powerheads too = even less flow)
option 3 = I just dont know, but what do I do now?

upped feeding (not a huge feeder I hve to admit), shortened full spectrum lighting to 4 hours??

Not great with a camera but will try

dvanacker
12/25/2012, 07:28 AM
Where did all the CO2 go?....thats what id be thinking. Sorry to hear about your trouble.

marthin
12/25/2012, 08:23 AM
Hi Darryl.. Thanks for the reply I'm not sure how full it was but fish/nems/all else were find so hopefully not too much CO2 in the tank
.. very basic solenoid type thing I use.. cannot gauge it.. all that is by the by now. Realisticly it will take some time for the corals to recover. Thought I'll ask as there as many talented reefers around