PDA

View Full Version : Ugh... Update firmware fail... Apex lost in Limbo

snarkes
12/25/2012, 04:40 PM
Like the title suggests, my Apex is stuck in Limbo. I hadnt updated my firmware since late 2011? So between presents this morning and dinner this evening I figured, "what the hay... " I downloaded the latest firmware (4.12) for a Mac and connected the Apex up to my router with a long Cat 5 cable.

Started the utility, it asked for my username and password, then went to work ... "erasing flash memory"... Somewhere right after that it got hung up and has timed out ever since. I've tried unplugging the base module from the EB8 and running the utility several times. Then, when that didnt work, unplugging the EB8 from the wall several times and running the utility... all to no avail.

I'm assuming that the outlets are all running on their "SET" position? (which is awesome because I cant remember if the heater is set to Off...). Anyways, the base unit is blinking yellow and the EB8 is blinking green. Display module is blank.

Suggestions?

TIA!!!!

JustinGr
12/25/2012, 06:05 PM
Did you try removing all cables connected to the unit and killing power and plugging it back in with only the power connected? I had to do this before it would reboot. Then you may need to reload the software.

RussM
12/25/2012, 06:27 PM
Power off the Apex. Start the firmware update. After it gives a few errors, power up the Apex.

snarkes
12/25/2012, 07:32 PM
Power off the Apex. Start the firmware update. After it gives a few errors, power up the Apex.

Tried that a few times too... Nada.

snarkes
12/25/2012, 07:34 PM
Did you try removing all cables connected to the unit and killing power and plugging it back in with only the power connected? I had to do this before it would reboot. Then you may need to reload the software.

Same with the EB8? Or just the temp, pH and display from the base module?

snarkes
12/26/2012, 12:12 PM
Okay, new twist. I've been working with Paul at Neptune to try and get this disaster resolved. Apparently, the flash utility is not creating an ARP entry, which would apparently mean I dont have admin rights on my computer and the operation is timing out.

This is after doing all of the suggestions above, and then hard-wiring the Apex to my mac.

I've double checked and I am listed as the admin of my computer (macbook pro purchased last month). What gives? It shouldnt be this hard to update the firmware...

Help...

jackmccr
12/26/2012, 12:23 PM
Snarks,
If it makes you feel any better, I'm having exactly the same problem this morning. Very frustrating. I'm working with Paul too.

jackmccr
12/26/2012, 03:05 PM
Thanks to a lot of help from Paul at Neptune, I was able to recover and get the beta firmware installed. Once I booted the computer in Safe Mode with Networking, I was able to reload the older version of formware, which got everything back to normal. I was then able to load the update firmware while still in safe mode.

Thank you Paul!!!!!

snarkes
12/26/2012, 03:17 PM
Congrats Jack! I'm definitely jealous now. I'd love to get the Beta software installed, but at this point, I'd settle for getting the original firmware back.

On the bright side, my tank should have a little less algae when I get this all figured out. I'm downloading parallels at the moment to try and run the updater through windows, but Windows 8 is a fairly large download and my DSL suuuuux.

jackmccr
12/26/2012, 03:32 PM
I was still using windows 7. Haven't looked at updating to windows8. I also had the old firmware on my computer. It appears booting in Safe Mode with Networking was key. Not sure if updating to the older version was importation or not.

The new version is nice

Good luck. Hope you get your apex recovered quickly.

snarkes
12/26/2012, 03:33 PM
I'm on a Mac... so unfortunately this isnt as easily completed as I'd like. We'll see.

JustinGr
12/26/2012, 04:23 PM
Snarkes,

I am running a new Mac (Air) and it askes me to login to my Mac when I make an update, make sure it is not hiding the window behind your screens when you try the update.

Use the 3 finger swipe up and see if the window is there asking for you to provide the login credentials.

And I had to unplug all but the PH and Temp probes.

snarkes
12/26/2012, 06:02 PM
Alright well I was FINALLY able to get everything working again. Not sure what the deal was to be honest. I had my wife bring her computer home from work (its a windows comp) and it took 5 seconds.

Why is it so much more difficult on a mac? or was that just my bad luck? I'm considering throwing the newest firmware upgrade on tonight (since I have her computer if anything goes wrong on the mac). The only reason I didnt go with it this last time is because I was worried with the "limbo-ness" of my Apex that perhaps I should get a stable version loaded first.

Any real reason not to do the Beta? Seems like most are happy with what theyve got so far?

JustinGr
12/26/2012, 08:46 PM
I'd go for it while you have another computer handy. But I am not the brightest bulb in the box.

GlassMunky
12/27/2012, 06:45 AM
Why is it so much more difficult on a mac?

Any real reason not to do the Beta? Seems like most are happy with what theyve got so far?

Id say it has more to do with your specific system setup than Mac/PC.... im on a mac and pretty computer dumb and got the update installed with 0 issues in all of like 5 minutes...... maybe i just got lucky though.....

get the beta! you will LOVE it! so much nicer than the older dashboard

Attreui
12/27/2012, 09:30 AM
Why is it so much more difficult on a mac? or was that just my bad luck? I'm considering throwing the newest firmware upgrade on tonight (since I have her computer if anything goes wrong on the mac). The only reason I didnt go with it this last time is because I was worried with the "limbo-ness" of my Apex that perhaps I should get a stable version loaded first.

Unless you are browsing the internet, Everything is more difficult on a Mac! :o

RussM
12/27/2012, 09:54 AM
One thing that will screw up firmware updates is having both wireless and wired network interfaces on the Mac or Windows machine active at the same time. Just a thought...

snarkes
12/27/2012, 11:56 AM
Unless you are browsing the internet, Everything is more difficult on a Mac! :o

Haha! I've actually gone to the dark side because of the issues I had with all of my prior windows based machines. Found a great deal on a refurbed Macbook pro, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Its more of a glorified web surfer and picture editor than anything. I just wanted something that was simple and had a reputation for lasting more than 2 years.

One thing that will screw up firmware updates is having both wireless and wired network interfaces on the Mac or Windows machine active at the same time. Just a thought...

Yeah... as much as I'd like to point the finger elsewhere, I'm 100% this was all user error. I had the Apex plugged into the network, but not the computer (wireless). Just couldnt get it to work at ALL after that initial screw up and all it took was placing a windows computer on the network and hitting update... all better.