PDA

View Full Version : Easy to keep acros???

Mattchamp
12/25/2012, 07:50 PM
Are there any easy to keep and less light demanding acros?

Nano sapiens
12/26/2012, 10:46 AM
There are Acros that are less light demanding (try a search for 'low light Acropora' and such). In nature different species can occur from very shallow to dozens of meters deep.

Due to the stability required to keep Acros, I wouldn't say any of them are 'easy', per se. However, some are much more finicky than others.

seamonkey84
12/26/2012, 11:30 AM
What kind of lighting and flow do you have? Also very dependent of Alk and Cal stability and flow rate.

Green slimer is a very forgiving Acro. But try a birds nest if your hesitant, I know they are usually considered "beginner" Sps along with encrusting montipora.

N_prise
12/26/2012, 11:34 AM
Birdsnest, digi, most montipora, slimers are good as well, don't be shy towards sps.... But go slow.....

potterjon
12/26/2012, 01:17 PM
+1 for birds nest as beginner coral. It's amazing what you can put those corals through.

Yedgy
12/26/2012, 04:34 PM
Apologies if this is a hijack, but I Have a closely related question which may encompass the OP's question too. Anyone know of an ordered list ranking species/cultivars by finickiness?

Dugless
12/26/2012, 04:48 PM
The OP was asking about easy acropora species not SPS. Seriatopora and Montipora are SPS, but are obviously not Acropora. I agree that green slimer (A. Yongei) are normally one of the easiest acros. I've also heard A. Milleopora are easier, but I've found them to be just as difficult if not more so in some cases. My best advice is to find a resource for healthy captive grown frags, whether locally or here on reefcentral. Something growing well in an aquarium will give you a better chance at success than something harvested from the reef.

Stolireef
12/26/2012, 06:00 PM
I think we really need a better handle on what the OP setup is like before we can suggest an 'easy' acro. While most acros have some basic similar requirements (eg. good flow, excellent H20, strong lighting, and proper chemistry), they can really vary in the specifics. From my experience, green slimers are pretty hardy but, in a recent tank crash, it was one of the first to go. Some of my 'difficult' SPS made it through without a scratch. Go figure. One thing is certain, if you don't have the basics down, no acro is 'easy'.

Mattchamp
12/26/2012, 09:49 PM
What about acros under 4 54watt t5's?

Militant Jurist
12/26/2012, 09:58 PM
I've kept green slimers under T5HO and had them do well. They don't grow as fast compared to MH, but they do just fine. Be sure to keep it near or above the top 25% of the tank.

A blue stag might do well also.

seamonkey84
12/26/2012, 11:39 PM
Honestly in my tank my "easiest" Acro is my Cali blue tort. It's never lost its color or stn when everything else was Melting over the summer (Alk spike). My green slimer turned very brown, while the blue held.

tagraham
12/27/2012, 04:49 PM
i have a marshal island fuzzy that i can do no wrong to

Mattchamp
12/27/2012, 09:47 PM
Also what type of flow do they like in general? And should a power head be blowing on my acro?

Chriskid
12/27/2012, 09:57 PM
cheap, and tank raised is best for a beginner. you will lose some , you may not.

Mattchamp
01/07/2013, 03:09 PM
What are some signs that an acro is doing well?

nysbadmk8
01/07/2013, 09:40 PM
Good PE, growth, good color.

Mattchamp
01/09/2013, 03:38 PM
Also does having algae like red slime, green hair, or diatoms mean you can't keep acropora or sps? because they need to be in a low nutrient environment

tomservo
01/09/2013, 07:03 PM
Algae problems are generally not indicative of a good environment for SPS corals (in particular). Some algae is always going to be growing, but problems like cyano, or a big diatom or dino bloom is an indicator to not buy more animals to add to the problem. If you have a known problem, fix the problem first, then add livestock. Otherwise your tank will end up like one of our LFS, all his coral tanks are like an elephant graveyard, bodies of the dying piled high on the bones of those that came before. (plus a few hundred empty snail shells in each tank)

The addendum to that rule is: If you think you have a problem, find out before it's too late!

tomservo
01/09/2013, 07:04 PM
Algae problems are generally not indicative of a good environment for SPS corals (in particular). Some algae is always going to be growing, but problems like cyano, or a big diatom or dino bloom is an indicator to not buy more animals to add to the problem. If you have a known problem, fix the problem first, then add livestock. Otherwise your tank will end up like one of our LFS, all his coral tanks are like an elephant graveyard, bodies of the dying piled high on the bones of those that came before. (plus a few hundred empty snail shells in each tank)

The addendum to that rule is: If you think you have a problem, find out before it's too late!

Mattchamp
01/11/2013, 02:03 PM
Oh an unrelated question I have is are acropora tenuis rare I heard from a LFS they are rare and can go up to $100 is this true and can you tell me basic information on acropora tenuis please, and thanks

dvanacker
01/11/2013, 03:59 PM
acropora tenuis is quite common.......which store are you talking about and what is the colour?

Mattchamp
01/11/2013, 04:20 PM
A store in Milton and maybe it's rare in Canada? And the colour is a brown base colour with purple polyps

Mattchamp
01/11/2013, 09:40 PM
what's the best quality of water for Acros?

Mattchamp
01/19/2013, 02:55 PM
And also what are examples of common types of acroporas?