PDA

View Full Version : Slow production with cold water, any tips to increase production?

Nanook
12/26/2012, 10:50 AM
Howdy,

With the colder temperatures, my current RODI setup is producing only about 30 gallons per day instead of the 180 gpd that I usually get with the two 90 gallon RO membranes. Things are just downright slow! Any suggestions to speed things up?

Thanks!!

Nanook
12/26/2012, 10:53 AM
My configuration is as follows:

5 micron carbon block >> .6 micron carbon block >> 2 75 gpd RO membranes (150gpd) >> 4 DI resin chambers. I usually get 150-180 gpd in warm weather. My flow restrictor came from you, I think it is a water saving 2-1 doohickey:D Thanks!

Thefilterguys
12/27/2012, 09:16 AM
Cold water is always a pain ours goes to 42 degrees in the winter. Not much you can do as mixing hot and cold can result in hot taking over and damaging your membranes in a few short minutes. We do have one local club member who is using the inline heaters either one or two 300 watt units and he claims good results.

That being said your production seems really low even with cold water and it makes me wonder if one or both of your membranes isn't failing???

Jim

Nanook
12/27/2012, 09:43 PM
Thanks, Jim:thumbsup:

Since I talked with you on the phone today, I put a the TDS meter after the RO membranes and my TDS is 5. Tap water is 144 TDS and after RO membranes, just 5. After four DI chambers it is ZERO of course.

So, perhaps one of the membranes went bad since the summer when this unit was producing a ton of water each day. Should I replace one or both of them? Is there a way to tell which one could be bad? I know, probably not, I was just hoping not to have to buy two of them:D

Thefilterguys
12/28/2012, 11:07 AM
You can try to measure the output of each membrane and each tds and see what shows up.

Jim