PDA

View Full Version : no knowledge on saltwater fish tanks want to start one though

alex53
12/26/2012, 08:21 PM
i have never done one and need help and sugestions on how to setup a 29 gallon saltwater tank. my friend has a giant one and it looks awesome. so i thought it would be cool to have my own little one. i need everything from fish to bioballs. and im on a budget of 500 bucks if any help could be provided it would be very useful and thankyu

StevieD
12/26/2012, 08:33 PM
Time, money and patience...not necesarilly in that order are essential...bioballs are generally not used in the salt world so ditch that idea...read the stickies is the best advice I can give and Im not trying to sound rude but if your talking about bioballs and a $500 budget, you really want to read the stickies and they will put it all in perspective for you. My 125 has been sitting in my garage for almost 4 months now because Im still trying to figure it all out...Im already $1000 in and my tank is still in the garage lol. Plan, read, Plan, read, New plan, different idea, read, confusion, clarification....it goes on and on and on lol

Lorenz725
12/26/2012, 08:38 PM
StevieD is right read read read! Then take your time. The thing about this hobby just because you have a smaller tank does not always mean it will be cheaper. This is a wonderful place to ask questions but no one person can tell you a step by step best way to set up your tank. That is why it is best to read the stickies to get as much info from as many people as you can. Good luck.

BAGGERZ13
12/26/2012, 09:05 PM
+1 on reading the stickies. I am new to this as well but I have followed all the advice I have been given and spend countless hours a day researching and researching...so take your time because nothing happens fast in a saltwater aquarium but problems. You have to be patient.

AT_Hiker
12/26/2012, 09:24 PM
I suggest getting your hands on a book named "The Reef Aquarium Science, Art and Technology" by J. Charles Delbeek and Julian Sprung, and reading it cover to cover.

But $500 might not get you very far in this hobby. I don't want to discourage you, but you may want to consider starting with a fresh water aquarium if your budget is very limited.

BAGGERZ13
12/26/2012, 09:28 PM
Or as long as you don't mind being patient and buying the things you need as you go and then set it up when your ready.

JokersAce69
12/26/2012, 09:34 PM
Time, Patience, Dedication and money, Take things slow and read everything you can process about saltwater.

Just to bring things into prospective I'm only doing a 10 gallon and I'm already $250 in the hole and still have yet to acquire any coral.

BAGGERZ13
12/26/2012, 09:38 PM
I have a 34 galling and with everything including the tank and stand and everything from liverock to water to salt mix, ect I have over 1600 invested so far. And like joker said. Still no corals lol.

Painted skin
12/26/2012, 11:01 PM
i have never done one and need help and sugestions on how to setup a 29 gallon saltwater tank. my friend has a giant one and it looks awesome. so i thought it would be cool to have my own little one. i need everything from fish to bioballs. and im on a budget of 500 bucks if any help could be provided it would be very useful and thankyu

There is no easy quick way to answer you questions, but like everyone said do you own home work and read.

Also you mentioned your friend has a large SW tank and "looks awesome" why are you not hitting up your friend on that? Isn't that's what friends for to help each other out?

As for your budget it is very tight, though it is possible for 29gal if you get lucky and find used from someone shutting down or moving.

alex53
12/26/2012, 11:53 PM
im only thirteen so thats why im on a tight budget and thanks for the book recomendation at hiker. ill see if i can get it. plus i need something to pay attention too and learn to take a resoponsibilty for and i've done freshwater tanks for quite some time now done everything from goldfish to cichlids

heathlindner25
12/27/2012, 05:53 AM
should have asked for it for Christmas...lol

BAGGERZ13
12/27/2012, 06:40 AM
That's probably where he got the 500 dollars from.