PDA

View Full Version : Saltwater from LFS

AT_Hiker
12/26/2012, 09:15 PM
I started up my quarantine tank today, and plan to add my first fish to the QT this weekend. I've been planning this moment for almost a year, so I'm pretty excited.

I don't have enough room to make my own water, so I'm buying it from my LFS. He sells his saltwater for .75 cents per gallon. With the water I've used to cycle my rock, and now start the quarantine I've invested a good amount of money in water to date. So, if I'm going to buy my water I want to make sure it's good stuff. I put the water I bought today though all my test kits to see what it's like before I do anything to change it.

I used new Salifert test kits for everything except Specific Gravity and Phosphates, for which I used a refractometer and a Hanna Phosphorus ULR checker.

Here are the test results:

Specific Gravity: 1.024
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0.01 ppm
Nitrate: 0.5 ppm
PH: 8.2
Alkalinity: 9.9 dKH
Calcium: 415 ppm
Magnesium: 1400 ppm
Phosphates: 9 ppb

So is this money well spent? Is this good water?

Thanks,
Steve

BAGGERZ13
12/26/2012, 09:18 PM
The ammonia is what is very bad for the fish and you always want that to be 0. So that looks good to me.

thegrun
12/26/2012, 09:40 PM
It is okay water but not great. The thing I don't like is the phosphates up at 9, this could lead to algae issues down the road. Nine isn't high but it certainly would be better below 3. The calcium is a little low if you are planning on keeping stony corals (it's fine for your tank as it currently sits). I'd give it a B- overall.

BAGGERZ13
12/26/2012, 09:43 PM
Yeah I was looking as it said parts per billion unless that is a typo I wasn't sure though. I meant to say that in my last post.

AT_Hiker
12/26/2012, 09:48 PM
Yeah I was looking as it said parts per billion unless that is a typo I wasn't sure though. I meant to say that in my last post.

yes, the phosphates are in parts per billion. That's what the Hanna ULR checker measures in. So that would be .009 ppm. Is 9 ppb still bad?

potterjon
12/26/2012, 09:54 PM
No its not bad at all. I think your parameters are just fine. I would just check the water you get from the lfs before you use it every once in awhile. Test if for phosphates just to keep them in check if you are going to rely on them for your water. They are notorious for not changing filters, etc.
You aren't going to add corals right away anyhow, so I wouldn't worry too much about calcium and alk just yet.
Just sayin, some are good about and some are not.