PDA

View Full Version : Is this cyano???

GaryLCrouch
12/27/2012, 08:24 AM
Just like the title says. I am trying to figure out what it is. It is in kinda balls in my sand and it is growing on my live rock. Looks kinda fluffy and black.

Sorry bad pic but i took it before work with my phone. That is a peice of live rock thats sitting on my now becoming live rock lol. when you look at the pic i am talking about the black on the right side of the rock in the middle.

heathlindner25
12/27/2012, 10:51 AM
I'm sorry but I can't tell anything from the picture. cyno is usually deep red and is easily removed with a turkey baster I hope that helps

GaryLCrouch
12/27/2012, 11:56 AM
I have heard of deep color almost black thats why i was asking. it does blow around very easy around the sand and stuff so im thinking its cyano

b0bab0ey
12/27/2012, 01:03 PM
I have heard of deep color almost black thats why i was asking. it does blow around very easy around the sand and stuff so im thinking its cyano

Cyano usually starts on the sand bed. It kind of clumps the sand together, making it easy to siphon out.

It will almost look like it's gone when you first turn your lights on, but after a few hours that deep red color comes back.

I suggest you siphon it out; don't blow it with a turkey baster. You want to contain & remove it, not spread it around.

heathlindner25
12/27/2012, 06:50 PM
Cyano usually starts on the sand bed. It kind of clumps the sand together, making it easy to siphon out.

It will almost look like it's gone when you first turn your lights on, but after a few hours that deep red color comes back.

I suggest you siphon it out; don't blow it with a turkey baster. You want to contain & remove it, not spread it around.

I didn't say blow it around with a turkey baster I just said it would...lol

ireef2012
12/27/2012, 11:39 PM
Like OP stated, it blowing around is not a good thing. It will spread through out your tank by seeding itself around different locations on your sandbed or rocks. Removing it is good but temporary fix, try to find the root of the problem and figure out what is feeding it.

GaryLCrouch
12/28/2012, 08:17 AM
I used the turkey baster to suk most of it out and cleaned the rocks that had it on them. we shall see how it goes from there. really it hasnt spread at all. my current prob is bryopsis algae. I found a good site and got almost 200 ounces of KEN M mag for $26. i will try to raise it to 1800 like i have heard and try to kill it. It isnt every where but where it is growin it looks like a freaken tree lol

heathlindner25
12/28/2012, 09:23 AM
if you can take the rock out that has the unwanted algae on it, you can dip it in a 1 to 1 mix of hydrogen peroxide and RO DI water. it will be gone in 3 days.