PDA

View Full Version : Mag flake and Dow flake

kenc87
12/28/2012, 02:55 AM
Are these still good for use in making two part? I've always used brs products but I have a local guy willing to sell me 50# of each for 50 bucks total. Just wanna make sure they are 100% safe before I pull the trigger

kenc87
12/28/2012, 12:19 PM
Anyone?

el aguila
12/28/2012, 05:20 PM
Some people can call chemicals by different names may be why noone is chiming in.

I have bought lab grade MgCl and CaCl (Dowflake) in bulk from Brenntag in Indianapolis and used it for several years with no problem. I have a friend who bought MgCl in bulk from a chemical place here in Charlotte and it killed all of his coral.

As long as it is the true MagFlake (deicer) and Dowflake you should be fine. Ask him if there is any label listing the chemical composition on the product.

bertoni
12/28/2012, 08:49 PM
The DowFlake and MagFlake both are fine. That's what I have.

Ron Reefman
12/29/2012, 06:26 AM
I use dowflake (calcium), mag flake (magnesium chloride), pool supply soda ash (sodium carbonate), epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) and Bayer Advanced Germ and Insect Killer (as coral dip). Next I'm going to try to regenerate my spent DI resin with lye and muratic acid. It's all WAY cheaper than BRS (like 50-75% less) and I've had zero issues. I went bulk because I have 4 tanks and about 500g of saltwater.

kenc87
12/29/2012, 08:01 AM
Well I asked the guy and all he said was that the dowflake is calcium chloride, and the mag flake is magnesium chloride. So I don't know. I really wanna buy it because being a grad student 50 dollars for over a year supply is way better than buying from brs

cccapt
12/29/2012, 08:13 AM
A few years ago Dow Chemical change the way they make the DowFlake. They used to extract the bromide out of it, but they stopped that process and changed the name to Dowflake Xtra. The "new" version has alot more bromide in it. Many people have been using the new Dowflake with no problems. Check the bag you are looking to buy and see which one it is.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1275153

MagFlake is made by Dead Sea Works. It's fine to use.