PDA

View Full Version : clownfish pairing

spieszak
12/28/2012, 08:37 AM
I lost on of my clowns a while back, and eventually bought a new one that went into QT. The new clown was tiny, so he sat in QT for about 4 months by himself to fatten up and grow a bit. Since it stayed at QT and didn't become and HT, last weekend I moved my existing clown into the QT with him. (both occellaris) They seem to be getting along just fine (20 gallon), but it has only been a week. The plan is to move both fish to a species tank, with an RBTA. (I don't care if they don't host RBTA's. If they decide to, that would be fine but whatever)
Finally to a question. Its only been about a week. They seem fine together, so, how much do I have to worry about the move? I mean, as a general rule, if they aren't fighting now, will the move confuse them and make it that they might fight? If so, would it help to hold off on the move a few weeks to allow them to really bond?

spieszak
12/28/2012, 07:08 PM
noone?

seamonkey84
12/28/2012, 07:14 PM
They'll be fine after the move

spieszak
12/28/2012, 07:46 PM
Watching them interact, I'm pretty confident that the move won't mess anything up. Catching them once released into the tank though would be tough, and I've grown fond of both. "Little fish" (the new clown) may be my favorite fish in any of the three tanks, and he would be hard pressed to defend himself against the females aggression, since she is still at least 3 times his size. It would definitely put me more at ease to hear a few more folks chime in.

Tmoriarty
12/28/2012, 08:08 PM
If they are getting along fine now there shouldn't be much of an issue. The only issue may come with the anemone, if the female decides to associate with it first she may be less inclined to let the male in. But if there is any aggression there it should pass over a couple days to a week.

In general Females are more accepting of males that are quite a bit smaller, at least so far in my experience.

I wouldn't worry about the move, and if it comes to catching them, clownfish are generally fairly easy to catch (especially compared to some of my other fish).

spieszak
12/29/2012, 10:19 AM
She is new to the anemone also. The anemone is well established in the tank with the plan of eventually moving the pair to the tank. (well, not quite this pair) Since she is new to the nem also, and I have no idea if she'll even care about it... they should both be "learning" about hosting at the same time. I assume if she had already been hosted the fear of her not sharing would be greater?

rssjsb
12/29/2012, 10:44 AM
If they were going to fight (i.e., if your little one had changed to a female while in QT), you would know it already. You should be fine.

They'll probably discover the nem at the same time. Even if she gives him some attitude after moving in, it won't last long.

rssjsb
12/29/2012, 10:44 AM
If they were going to fight (i.e., if your little one had changed to a female while in QT), you would know it already. You should be fine.

They'll probably discover the nem at the same time. Even if she gives him some attitude after moving in, it won't last long.

spieszak
12/31/2012, 12:18 PM
Seems things went pretty well. She's not sure she wants to share, but she isn't being too rough about it either.

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd462/spieszak/clown/th_clowns_zps8cf5e6eb.png (http://s1221.beta.photobucket.com/user/spieszak/media/clown/clowns_zps8cf5e6eb.png.html)