PDA

View Full Version : So you got a new saltwater tank for a prezzy! Congrats!...Now...

Sk8r
12/28/2012, 01:55 PM
...to get started, and save a BUNDLE of money...start at the top of this forum and read the stickies, particularly about how to start your tank. I regret to say your local fish store may NOT provide accurate advice or sell you the right things. Before you remove labels, check out:
1. WHAT you want to keep...different fishes need different tank shapes. That's in the stickies. Corals need particular lights. That's in the stickies. Fish-only tanks are not easier than reefs.
2. WHAT you've got: Sumps are a good idea for reefs. Really efficient skimmers are important for sps stony coral, but lps coral may be happier with less skimmer. Read the stickies.
3. Maintaining salinity: you need an autotopoff. Read the stickies.
4. Tests: you start with test strips and a salinity checker---ammonia/nitrate and a refractometer. You progress to 3 more tests, alkalinity, calcium, magnesium. Read the stickies.
5. You're in the best place in the hobby to get advice. Don't rush to take the first advice offered, but get a consensus.
6. Don't be afraid of things that came in your rocks: most are good. Even the bristly worms. Read the ID sticky.
7. Don't buy fish until you have a quarantine tank: read the stickies.
8. LIttle tanks are harder than big tanks up to about 150 gallons. Then the equation gets iffier.
9. Ask on RC BEFORE you do something experimental rather than after you've ---that will save a lot of problems!
10. In the centuries-old history of this hobby, we've tried most everything, but we've got a sequenced list of things that we know work well together...in those stickies!

And if there's something they don't cover or you can't find---ask! There's no stupid question here---there's not a one of us that hasn't left a topoff unit unplugged or overdosed on buffer, ourselves.

Chaotic Reefer4u
12/28/2012, 04:45 PM
+1 on Sk8er's advice!

Ronic
12/28/2012, 04:56 PM
Soooo.... read the stickies? Sorry had to do it.
Thanks Sk8r you are my favorite on here beacuse of all the great advice you give to the newbs like me. And you live in a great city, :) I miss that place every day.

blue ridge reef
12/28/2012, 04:56 PM
As the owner of an LFS I can not state enough how much simpler my life would be if all my customers/new hobbyists would read the stickies! The other thing I might add is be patient. Especially if doing a reef tank, expect it to start shaping up into your dream tank around this time next year. And if you can find some old, very cured live rock that has been in a tank for a long time, that is very, very preferable to "new" rock or base rock and is the only way I have found to reliably speed things up. Happy reefing and welcome to the addiction!

Guss
12/28/2012, 05:16 PM
Back in June I started my first salt water tank. I read as many "stickies" as I could. I must say Sk8r knows her stuff. As do many others. The stickies mad my 150 set up easy, So far no major issues (other than getting damsel to see if we could keep fish alive in the tank after the cycle), so read the stickies ask questions advice is abound. Plus the people here are great!

SKurj
12/28/2012, 05:22 PM
Sorry what? Read? Where?

One little point... for 99% of us the first tank may never quite turn out how you thought it would. Consider it the learning curve and a step up to your larger tank upgrade so you can try again +)

DMBFan
12/28/2012, 05:26 PM
there's not a one of us that hasn't left a topoff unit unplugged or overdosed on buffer, ourselves.
Or left the ATO hose with a siphon into the tank! "Why is my ATO running every 45 seconds?" ;)