PDA

View Full Version : Question about biopellet reactors

cap032
12/28/2012, 03:06 PM
Im currently trying decide between the ReefDynamics recirculating model and the Nextreef Smr1 model for a newly set up 125. I understand the principle and ability of control with the recirculating model but have a few questions I hope those with experience can help me out. With a non recirculating model like the Smr1 do you control nutrient export by adjusting the amount of pellets used, so as not to overstrip the water? If this is the case, how easy/hard is it to find that sweet spot? I ask these questions for a simple reason.........the almighty dollar. It looks like the Reefdynamics model has to be purchased through them with no discounts nor free shripping etc., which will cost me about $270. The Nextreef can be purchased through online vendors, with discounts, free shipping, etc. for roughly $140 with an eheim compact 1000 pump + tubing. Is the resirculating model truly worth the extra $130? I truly appreciate any help you guys can give me. Obviously I have 0 experience with reactors! lol

cap032
12/28/2012, 06:14 PM
bump

azjohnny
12/28/2012, 10:13 PM
I own the 250 model and very happy with it. I first tried a TLF 550 reactor and hated how the pellets would tumble, that I tried a Reef Octopus 140 model and still didnt care for it either and than i found a used Reef Dynamics 250 model and I love it. I run mine wide open, I like how the pellets tumble and how it operates.

cap032
12/29/2012, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the response AZ Johnny. Despite the cost, Im leaning towards the RD 135 model. Looks like in your experience, you would have saved time and $$$ going after the RD from the get go. I fear if I go the NextReef route, Ill end up doing the same. Any others that care to share your experience with recirculating or non recirculating will be greatly appreciated. Btw AZJohnny, which pellets are you using, and how well is it keeping your nitrates and phosphates in check?

azjohnny
12/29/2012, 09:51 AM
double post

azjohnny
12/29/2012, 09:51 AM
I am using the Warner Marine Ecobak pellets. They claimed that they have a special shape and are more porous for bacteria to grow and more expensive ( $60 for 1000ml) I don't think they are any different from the BRS brand which will be my next buy

How big is your tank?

The bio pellets do a very good job in keeping the nitrates down and the algae off of the tank sides, I used to clean the sides once a week, now its once a month.

Make sure you have a quality skimmer, your skimmate production will double

Also start with 25% of the total you want to use and increase the amount another 25% 2 weeks later and continue this until you have the amount you want. If you add too much too soon you will get an bacterial bloom in the DT

kc350twin
12/29/2012, 01:09 PM
Some feel as if the reactor did not process enough water through the tiny RO lines. Many have turned a normal reactor into a re-circulating one buy a few simple PVC fittings.
I did it with a TLF reactor and it worked well. I too got to the point that I felt I could not process the water enough and went back the the traditional way of the tumble. You can control the removal with the amount of pellets you use. I will say its not as easy and takes a considerable amount of time since you have to wait for the new pellets to come on line. It took me about 4 months to dial mine in to .03 po4.
In my opinion if you do get the RD one put as many pellets in it as you can because you can always cut the flow through the reactor. Maybe even up size if you you are close to the boarder to the next size.

Kc3

cap032
12/29/2012, 01:29 PM
Tank is a 125 AZJohnny. Salty Supply has a sale on the Ecobak right now, if you need some. Yanks again for the replies fellas.

Rockys_Pride
12/30/2012, 01:28 AM
I am using the Warner Marine Ecobak pellets. They claimed that they have a special shape and are more porous for bacteria to grow and more expensive ( $60 for 1000ml) I don't think they are any different from the BRS brand which will be my next buy

Also start with 25% of the total you want to use and increase the amount another 25% 2 weeks later and continue this until you have the amount you want. If you add too much too soon you will get an bacterial bloom in the DT

Smart fellow.

I tried the BRS pellets in my smr1, I didn't get much of an effect after 3 months, just a horrible smell coming from the reactor. My buddy is having great success with the BRS pellets and modded tlf 150. The difference between us, flow. I had a gentle tumble, he has wicked flow. Neither one of our skimmers increased skimmate by very much.

Anyways, EcoBack is my next purchase, if that fails, the RD reactor. HTH

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

azjohnny
12/30/2012, 10:06 AM
sounds like you might have had some Hydrogen Sulfide being produced in your reactor.

Did the reactor smell like rotten eggs?

There is a sweet spot when it comes to flow, too much and the reactor wont reduce nitrates and too little and you will get hydrogen sulfide which is toxic

here is a video that Jeff Macare from Reef Dynamics made and it has a lot of good info

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oNzFiEGxJ6s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

fishresponse
12/30/2012, 02:18 PM
I have a OneReef XL unit and I'm not happy. I'm not sure if OneReef has changed their design in the newer design of the SMR1. But with the XL I have, the pellets don't suspend/fluidize even with 400-500 gph of flow. I ended up getting the NP Biopellets XL which claim they don't need to be suspended and need less flow which so far seem to be working. Of course I've only had them online for a couple months so we'll see the "true" results are after a couple more months. If that doesn't work then I plan on getting the AquaMaxx BioMaxx BioPellet Reactor as it's gotten good reviews so far. Hope that helps some.