PDA

View Full Version : Doser Malfunction

Kroghs
12/29/2012, 07:23 AM
Doser malfunction and I dosed about 1 liter of NO3:PO4-X into my 65 gallon reef tank yesterday. Everybody stressed and starting to lose specimens. Should I continue dosing the 6 mls per day, or should I stop and for how long? Doing 10% water changes every couple of hours. No quarantine tank. Any suggestions?

downbeach
12/29/2012, 07:33 AM
I would stop adding fuel to the fire, and keep up with the WC's, but make sure your make up water matches your DT's, i.e. temp, pH, SG, etc., and give it time to "cure", usually about 24hrs(mixing and aerating).

Kroghs
12/29/2012, 07:37 AM
Thank you very much, new with the abbreviations, what are DT's, SG? I understand all of the other abbreviations.

downbeach
12/29/2012, 07:47 AM
Thank you very much, new with the abbreviations, what are DT's, SG? I understand all of the other abbreviations.

DT = Display Tank

SG = Specific Gravity(salinity)

ScottB
12/29/2012, 07:53 AM
First, I would advise you not to post issues like this in multiple sponsor forums as this is not an issue they would likely concern themselves with. downbeach has graciously and wisely responded to you, but you are likely to get more and varied advice in a larger forum, such as the beginner forum or filtration or some such.

Matched water changes, coupled with patience, will go a long way. If you have an external canister filter, you could run some carbon to help extract the bad stuff.

For future reference, regarding a Q-tank. You can set one up pretty quickly with a rubbermaid tub and a couple pieces of your live rock. Q-tanks need not be clear or even glass. Drop your heater in there and any old pump you may have laying around. No lights are necessary.

Kroghs
12/29/2012, 09:59 AM
Advise taken, thanks for the help.