PDA

View Full Version : Looking for PAR numbers for SE (Phoenix vs Iwasaki)

Myka
12/29/2012, 11:01 AM
For the life of me I can't find any PAR numbers for the 250 watt Phoenix 14K SE bulb. I'm wondering if an Iwasaki 15K 175 watt bulb outperforms the Phoenix 14K SE bulb on normal output electronic ballast, and also on electronic ballast HQI setting. I can't find any numbers from Sanjay on that particular Phoenix bulb...?

Thinking about some power savings and not interested in jumping on the LED bandwagon just yet. Also interested what kind of PAR jump there would be running the Phoenix on HQI setting.

ReeferAl
12/29/2012, 09:37 PM
The Phoenix 14K are/were thought to be the same bulb as Aquaconnect 14K with a different label. The PAR values for the AC14K can be found here:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2004/10/review2

Myka
12/29/2012, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the link, I will check that out!

I have heard people say that the Phoenix is an AquaConnect relabeled, but that doesn't make sense, why charge less for the same product? Also, doesn't the AC burn whiter than Phoenix? I haven't run one in so long I don't remember for sure...

EDIT: You linked to a DE comparison article. i will hunt around AA and see if I can find a SE article. Cheers.

ReeferAl
12/29/2012, 09:49 PM
The phoenix 14k DE is the same as the AC 14K DE. The mogul bulbs may not be the same for the 2 brands.

Myka
12/29/2012, 10:09 PM
Hmmm yeah, all the info I find is for the Phoenix DE bulb, not the SE. Sanjay did testing with Phoenix 250w 10K SE, 150w 14K DE (I think), but not 250w 14K SE. My corals appear to be getting plenty of PAR with the bulbs, which is why I'm wondering if a switch to Iwasaki might be a reasonable consideration.

I am thinking of switching to Lumatek/Galaxy switchable ballasts to replace my Vertex ballasts, so the option of trying the Iwasakis would be easy. Maybe I will have to buy a PAR meter too so I can make the measurements myself! Haha!

Myka
01/02/2013, 10:15 AM
Ok, I finally found...

AquaConnect 14K SE: Electronic ballast (IceCap) PPFD 83.6
Iwasaki 14K SE: Electronic ballast (various) PPFD ~ 87

So, I should get more PAR out of a 175w Iwasaki than I do out of a Phoenix on an electronic ballast. Albeit, these are really old articles...

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2004/7/review#section-1 (250w SE bulbs)
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/12/review#section-11 (175w SE bulbs)

gcarroll
01/02/2013, 10:43 AM
The Phoenix SE is the exact same bulb as the Phoenix DE so results should be similar. All they did is package it as a mogul. It still should be run on an HQI ballast.
Phoenix's DE bulbs are the same as the Aquaconnect DE but not the SE.
The guys at Phoenix had no idea who made Aquaconnect's SE bulbs.

Myka
01/02/2013, 12:16 PM
So...

If Phoenix SE = Phoenix DE
And Phoenix DE = AquaConnect DE
Then Phoenix SE should equal AquaConnect DE ???

I'm not keen on running HQI ballasts because of the extra power and the extra heat put to the tank.

gcarroll
01/08/2013, 01:49 PM
Yes, however it will run on an electronic ballastSo...

If Phoenix SE = Phoenix DE
And Phoenix DE = AquaConnect DE
Then Phoenix SE should equal AquaConnect DE ???

I'm not keen on running HQI ballasts because of the extra power and the extra heat put to the tank.

ksed
01/08/2013, 05:53 PM
I believe the AquaConnect SE was made by Narva.