PDA

View Full Version : Mantis and Angler in 10gal...

hobbzz
08/06/2003, 06:19 PM
The mantis (a smasher) is about 1.5-2 inches, and so is the angler. Am I asking for trouble? If the mantis were a spearer I would give myself a definite "hell yeah you're asking for trouble", but like I said it's a smasher... I'm thinking that the shrimp wouldn't be interseted in the fish, and would also put up to much of a fight for the angler to bother going after it. Am I insane?:lol:

silent_assassin_e99
08/06/2003, 08:14 PM
i think since they're the same size the mantis would kill the angler, especially with the angler being a slow bottom dweller. Some people have luck keeping fish with smashers, my peacock kills any fish i put in the tank within minutes.

Kara
08/07/2003, 09:54 AM
the angler would be a pricey mantis snack

hobbzz
08/07/2003, 05:26 PM
Damn...guess i'll be setting up the 5gal again for the mantis!:D

Gonodactylus
08/07/2003, 05:38 PM
I wouldn't take bets on who is likely to kill whom. There is the possibility that they might kill each other. Suction feeds with a wide gape often try to ingest prey that are way too large for them to swallow. Sometimes the prey gets stuck and both die. I've not seen this happen with anglers, but I have seen a frog fish and a lion fish "choke to death" on a gonodactylid not much smaller that they were.

lllosingit
08/07/2003, 05:55 PM
I'd put money on the Angler eating the Mantis:D
I have 3 Mantis (smashers) in a 38 hex with 3 Damsels and a couple hermits and some crabs that were hithhikers on my live rock, They haven't touched a thing.
I do think the Angler will make a meal out of the Mantis though, they are known to try to eat anything that will fit into it's mouth no matter the length.

hobbzz
08/08/2003, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by lllosingit
I'd put money on the Angler eating the Mantis:D

I think I'll stick to my original plan of seperate tanks!:lol:

Wee Man
08/10/2003, 06:05 PM
i wouldnt be ton the mantis winning the duel, anglers will eat anything and the mantis would probably have no idea that the angler is in the same tank with him until it was too late and GULP the mantis is dead, put with the size similarities the angler couldnt digest such a large meal, the mantis would decompose inside the anglers stomach and it would create an abundance of nitrogen and the angler would float like a balloon up to the surface and slowly die.

Dana42078
07/20/2011, 12:28 AM
Well there goes that idea lol......such an old thread, but still a nice thought....id put my money on my GT any day and he doesnt mind anything that doesnt come near him. First it was my yellow tail damsel that thought he could get close.....nope......then my sixline......now with a all blue damsel. Think hes got half a brain of what lurks in the reef so he keeps his distance so far. I personally was thinking of a bigger tank....maybe a 45g but really when it comes down to it. You would need at least a 150g tank for these to live in. Even then your pushing it. It couldnt be a slasher and would have to be a moderate smasher. When i say moderate i mean, not going for fish when they swim past them. The fish i lost were just at the wrong place at the wrong time during the night.

Roy do you think these two could be kept in the same aquarium if there wasnt a size limit. Also if there were one could you put a number to it?

zzz04pt
07/22/2011, 02:24 PM
I have a peacock in a 24g with a Flame Angel, a Sixline wrasse and a maroon clown. They've been together for over 6 months now with no problems. I even have a skunk cleaner shrimp that I keep expecting to go missing but he's running around the rock as of this morning.

She does like to pick off hermits and emerald crabs but that seems to be it. Even my mexican turbo snails have not been bothered.

I agree the angler would try to suck down the mantis. They are fairly dumb and will strike at pretty much anything they think they can eat. We had one years back the color of a tennis ball in a 30 gallon tank. My wife decided to surprise me one day with a 2 inch hippo tang. She was the one who was surprised as he was long gone when I got home and she tried to show me our new fish.

Dana42078
07/22/2011, 02:30 PM
I have a peacock in a 24g with a Flame Angel, a Sixline wrasse and a maroon clown. They've been together for over 6 months now with no problems. I even have a skunk cleaner shrimp that I keep expecting to go missing but he's running around the rock as of this morning.

She does like to pick off hermits and emerald crabs but that seems to be it. Even my mexican turbo snails have not been bothered.

I agree the angler would try to suck down the mantis. They are fairly dumb and will strike at pretty much anything they think they can eat. We had one years back the color of a tennis ball in a 30 gallon tank. My wife decided to surprise me one day with a 2 inch hippo tang. She was the one who was surprised as he was long gone when I got home and she tried to show me our new fish.

lulz!