PDA

View Full Version : Dry storing a glass tank

Joel_155
12/29/2012, 08:33 PM
So I'm going to be moving in a few months and I've decided to downgrade tanks due to space. I've already bought the new tank ( glass 50g cube ) and I'm how I should store it. Will the silicone seems be okay if it sits dry for a few months? I just don't want to set it up in my new place ( moving in with the GF ) and have a huge disaster. Any advice here? Thanks in advance.

joel

James77
12/29/2012, 10:52 PM
Sitting dry will have no effect on the silicone. It would be ideal to keep it at reasonable temperatures, like 40-90 though.

Ghstwolf
12/29/2012, 10:54 PM
When I moved from New Jersey to Tokyo my 55g sat in a closet for 3yrs wrapped in shipping paper.. When I moved to the UK I set it up without any problems..

billdogg
12/30/2012, 08:16 AM
My 150Dt, that was ~ 10 years old at the time, went in to storage when I got married/bought new home/finished basement. All told it sat for another 7 years or so. I kept it in the garage, on end, and used it as a storage bin for my long handled garden tools. Temps during that time ranged from -20 in the winter to well over 100 in the summer. When It was time to put it back in service, I cleaned it up, leak tested for a week, drilled a couple more holes in it, and schlepped it into the basement. That was 5 years ago, making the tank about 22 years old now. No problems at all.

Just make sure you don't break the glass and it will be fine. Try to keep it out of the direct sun and weather if you can.

Dave Thebrewguy
12/30/2012, 08:53 AM
I don't understand why people still think tanks will leak if they are allowed to dry out. This has not been an issue since they stopped sealing aquariums with cork half a century ago. Silicone caulks and adhesives often have guarantees that are good for 20 or 30 years when used outdoors and exposed to extreme temperatures and weather. There's no reason a seam should fail from indoor storage, ever.