PDA

View Full Version : Quarantine tank questions

apw63
12/30/2012, 10:38 AM
Hello all,

What is the small tank crowd using for a quarantine tank? Tell me about your QT setup please.

Are you leaving it up all the time or taking it down after livestock has been proven safe for display?

If you take it down, how do you start the QT back up? Do you keep a small sponge filter in your display tank to transfer to the QT?

I’m going to setup a QT but don’t want to leave it up all the time. My display tank is still weeks out from being setup.

Andy

EllieSuz
12/30/2012, 10:53 AM
I use a JBJ 12 gallon for quarantine so it's easy to leave the filter media in my display sump between uses. Before a fish purchase, I start up the QT tank with fairly low salinity because I match the QT water to the bag water to reduce the lengthy acclimation process. Over the course of six weeks of quarantine, I perform daily one gallon water changes from water in the display tank. This results in identical water conditions in both tanks by the time the fish are ready to move. During the time I was actively purchasing fish and corals, I left the QT up and running with ghost feedings to keep the bacteria active. Now that my fish list is complete, the QT is cleaned, empty and idle. In the event that I have reason to add anything to the display, I'll purchase new filter media and put it in my sump for a few weeks.

apw63
12/31/2012, 08:03 AM
Thank you for the great info. I thought more people would have joined in.

Andy

BAGGERZ13
12/31/2012, 12:22 PM
Did you try searching? There are countless threads on QT's in this forum and a really good sticky on the top of the "new to hobby" section

apw63
12/31/2012, 12:34 PM
Did you try searching? There are countless threads on QT's in this forum and a really good sticky on the top of the "new to hobby" section

Yes I have read the sticky, and I did try the search function. I did not find any info in the "nano tank" forum. I agree there are countless threads with great QT info on reef central. I was asking questions in a very narrow band, specifically towards the nano tank hobbyist. Nano tanks being so small and with the limited amount of space in either the back of an AIO or small sump. I wanted to get info from the nano tank community.

EllieSuz gave some great info and that was the kind of info I was looking for.

Andy