PDA

View Full Version : Question about Magdrive pumps

StevieD
12/30/2012, 01:12 PM
Im looking at picking up a Mag 12 from DrsFosterSmith and was curious if they actually come with the metal screws the had hold the impellar cover on. I know that metal and saltwater dont work, thats why I was curious. Anyone know?

ReachTheSky
12/30/2012, 01:40 PM
Yes they are metallic but I believe they're epoxy encoated. That's not to say they wont rust a little bit after many years but a little bit of rust is no problem. Free GFO if anything. :)

StevieD
12/30/2012, 01:45 PM
Ive also heard that there are plastic screws for these covers as well, but cant find them...thanks for the reply, didnt know they were coated

ReachTheSky
12/30/2012, 01:50 PM
Yeah I'm sure you can find some from any hardware store. They look like your average screws - nothing special about their size/shape. If I were you, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Mag Drive pumps are very popular in this hobby. If the metallic screws were problematic, hobbyists wouldn't use them. I used one for two years and never saw any problems with rust or corrosion in the screws.

azjohnny
12/30/2012, 02:18 PM
there are much better options than Mag pumps

StevieD
12/30/2012, 03:18 PM
there are much better options than Mag pumps

Im sure there are...Im not willing to pay rediculous amounts for a name just to achieve the same results though...I asked for opinions on mag drives and the screws, not better options...and thanks to the ones that gave me the opinions I was looking for

reefriot13
12/30/2012, 05:16 PM
the screws are stainless, and eventually does rust but IMO the plastic ones are crap and break off and leave you F%$cked

StevieD
12/30/2012, 05:32 PM
the screws are stainless, and eventually does rust but IMO the plastic ones are crap and break off and leave you F%$cked

good to know theyre cheap, i wont worry about them then

Tennsquire
12/30/2012, 06:31 PM
I've used Mag pumps for years. They do the job, and last forever with minimal maintenance. Never had a problem with the screws.

StevieD
12/30/2012, 08:14 PM
cool...thanks everyone for the input

sirreal63
12/30/2012, 09:57 PM
They may rust a bit, it is normal and not known to really cause issues. Be sure and read the directions and use the recommended 1-1/2" pipe or you will be cutting the flow greatly. As Johnny was trying to say, there are much better choices for a return pump, less heat added to the water and more powerful energy efficient pumps, Mags are about the worst submersible for a return pump. They are bullet proof and can last, but so are many other more efficient pumps that won't be a 110 watt heater running 24/7/365.

Instead of biting people's heas off for trying to help you, it is usually better to get as much information from as many people as you can. Someone may be trying to help you prevent issues with their own experience. Listening is a good thing, even if you choose not to do as suggested. :)

Epicreefer
12/30/2012, 11:35 PM
I have used hundreds of mag pumps in the last few years, mostly fresh water, and seen a few die. They don't respond to constant on/off applications like water top off well, other than that they will work for years. Don't worry about the screws it's usually a year or two before you see some rust and it isn't bad. I am using a mag 12 right now on my pond and like it. If I were doing a return pump and could plumb in a bulkhead to the sump I would try out a reeflo blowhole. Looks about the same price and water flow as a mag with a little better performance, I'll be trying these out on my new tank next month, otherwise I would probably go with a mag. One downside to mags is they are a bit noisy.

StevieD
12/31/2012, 09:09 AM
I wasnt biting anyones head off, just sounded that way honestly. reason I was asking was drsfostersmith has them on sale. I didnt want to waste money on one if the screws are going to rust, but it sounds like they wont rust for a while. Thanks guys