PDA

View Full Version : Temp reduction= no more bryopsis??

needmorecowbell
12/30/2012, 01:18 PM
I've had Bryopsis for about 6 months now and I have tried nearly everything to get rid of it. Over Christmas, we had a big snow in Pennsylvania and my tank heater couldn't handle it. The temp went down to 74-75 and the corals weren't happy. One suffered from necrosis. I've noticed that all of my bryopsis is gone though? I had a lot, and it disappeared in a week. I didn't do anything else to the tank, not even a water change... Is this a new cure for bryopsis??

JaYbIrD1969
12/30/2012, 02:14 PM
I cant imagine it being a very popular cure if it negatively effects corals as you stated. Raising Mg levels seems to be the the most accepted way to deal with the vile weed. tho not everyone has the same result.

needmorecowbell
12/30/2012, 02:23 PM
I tried using kent marine magnesium to spike my mag, but it didn't work out. I know it might not be the best, but I feel like if all else fails, it's definitely something to look into. I was extremely close to selling it all and going freshy because of how aggressively it spread

bertoni
12/30/2012, 05:00 PM
That's interesting. The low temperature might have killed the Bryopsis. Hard to say. There are lots of varieties of Bryopsis, too, though.

needmorecowbell
12/30/2012, 06:34 PM
I think what it may have been is actually just a rapid change in the water that killed it, not the actual set temperature.

Lukel
12/30/2012, 07:27 PM
I cant imagine it being a very popular cure if it negatively effects corals as you stated. Raising Mg levels seems to be the the most accepted way to deal with the vile weed. tho not everyone has the same result.

Off topic, is your profile pic from Back to the Future?

potterjon
12/31/2012, 08:03 PM
Tech m can get expensive when trying to deal with bryopsis. I think it's an interesting theory and not much different than a lot of other treatments we use for other things.
I would give up a few corals to save a tank. :)