PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a skimmer! (SWC or Avast)

rideelement247
12/30/2012, 07:08 PM
I am pretty sure I am between the SWC or Avast Marine skimmers. I am open to suggestions, but from my thread crawling have seen these 2 brands come up, usually with SWC on top, but would like the weigh in of other members. The two things putting me on the Avast boat are the Swabbie and the DIY project fun of the build. However, I would prefer quality of a skimmer over the fun aspect of it, of course. I also cannot find the numbers on what the Avast CS1 is capable of skimming under different bioloads the way the SWC page shows.

So let the debate begin! I am open to ideas but am b/w these two companies due to price point. I would like to be under the $400 mark with a Swabbie. My tank is a 90 gal reef tank with a 30 gal sump about ~100gal total system volume, probably less. Currently running an ASM Mini-G but it has seen its day as I have stocked the tank over the past few months and it is rated for a 75 gal.

Thanks in advance guys!

Myka
12/30/2012, 07:42 PM
This might sway you a bit: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/City-businessman-slapped-with-135000-in-fines-costs-174665081.html

kenc87
12/30/2012, 08:01 PM
I run an avast marine cs1 recirc skimmer and it's amazing, I love it

rideelement247
12/30/2012, 08:15 PM
Ouch that's harsh on SWC. That speaks a lot for the survivability of the company and the support it can offer a customer, especially if it is shut down. While I do support the trade and remaining honest, I would really like to stick to the specs of the skimmers in question. The shady business ethics that I was not aware of on SWC's part has swayed me from their line completely. I do, however, want the numbers on the bioload for the Avast. Also anyone who has a comparable make and model in price and performance I would love to hear your views. Anyone with anything on any companies to stay away from please keep me in the loop as I want my purchase to reflect a reputable company.

rideelement247
12/30/2012, 08:19 PM
I run an avast marine cs1 recirc skimmer and it's amazing, I love it

Any numbers on the bioload the cs1 can handle? I've set myself up in my mind for Avast before asking but do want to keep an open mind going into my future purchases.

Myka
12/30/2012, 08:22 PM
I bought two SWC skimmers before he was convicted. He was convicted several years after he was charged, and in all honesty I thought the charges were dropped since so much time had gone by. That said, the skimmers perform very well, but do have cheap pumps on them. I have a 180 Cone on my 90-gallon SPS tank that has med-low bioload and it fits the tank well, produces lots of skimmate, and could handle higher bioload. I have a 120 Cone on my 50-gallon LPS tank very light bioload and feel it is barely enough skimmer, but it does ok, produces lots of skimmate.

Check out Skimz, they are very similar design as SWC, but better quality, slightly higher pricing. I've heard lots of good things about Bubble Magus, but haven't tried one.

kenc87
12/30/2012, 08:48 PM
Well what size tank are you thinking of putting it on? I run it on a 65 mixed reef with a heavy bioload and it is constantly pulling out dark skimmate. I think avast says it can go up to a 150 with a heavy bioload. I know of someone who owns one and had it on a 180 with a moderate to heavy bioload and it did great. If you have any questions you should email the . They get back to you super quick and are really helpful with any problems if you have any.

rideelement247
12/30/2012, 08:57 PM
Well what size tank are you thinking of putting it on? I run it on a 65 mixed reef with a heavy bioload and it is constantly pulling out dark skimmate. I think avast says it can go up to a 150 with a heavy bioload. I know of someone who owns one and had it on a 180 with a moderate to heavy bioload and it did great. If you have any questions you should email the . They get back to you super quick and are really helpful with any problems if you have any.

I want to run it on my 90 with a plan of heavy bioload so when I upgrade to a 180 it can keep up a bit until I upgrade again ;). I'll look into Skim and Avast a bit more. Thank you for the input keep it coming!

reeferlover
12/30/2012, 09:00 PM
1I love my swc 160 on my 75 with 55 gal sump. It does a great job. But..... I love my skimz reactor and when I upgrade my skimmer it will be a skimz.

autodave
12/30/2012, 09:04 PM
I use the SWC 160 on a similar size tank (90g actual water volume). It is a great performing skimmer for me,the only issue I've had was a broken impellar after a few years of use. I do like the look of the Avast, I am not sure I would use a Swabbie though. I am confused why they state 23w for the PSK-1000 when it's a 60w pump. I would also consider the SeaSide Aquatics CS-1 (I have used the CS-2,good skimmer)

rideelement247
12/31/2012, 09:30 AM
Looked at my options but will probably go with Avast CS1 since they come with the recirculating mod standard and my sump water level is 12" deep.

Edit: I really do like the look of the SeaSide Aquatics...anyone know how hard it would be to dial it into a 12" sump depth?

Also, why would you go without a swabbie? I figure I have to clean my skimmer cup almost every other day since it cannot build foam when the skimmate grows too thick on the collection cup neck. Is this not an issue with bigger, more powerful skimmers?

kenc87
12/31/2012, 11:28 AM
I know a few people who have swabbies and they all really like them. I hope to get one soon