PDA

View Full Version : Whats the deal with Pumps!

atp0726
12/30/2012, 08:32 PM
I have been in the saltwater hobby for less than 3 years and I have multiple pumps now that I have to slam on the side of a bucket to get to work. To name a few Siccra Sinca Mini (sp), Quiet One 3000, Mag Drive, Eshopps PSK 150 skimmer pump.

I started dosing BRS two part back in September, 12 and its either a coincidence or this has compounded the issue.

Is this normal or do I need to do something differently than cleaning once in a while with some vingegar?

Do I need to trash these pumps or is there something I can do the rejuvenate them?

Epicreefer
12/30/2012, 10:51 PM
Rinsing pumps in fresh water before dry storage is a big help, dry salt can cause a lot of problems. Also the vi gear bath is necessary every now and then with some systems/pumps. Every system is different and can cause buildup on impellers. Also keeping sand or grit out of magnet drive(all the ones you have listed) pumps really helps with longevity. As does taking them apart and cleaning everything now and then. I don't like quiet one pumps. Mag drive pumps are usually pretty sturdy but ive seen them die for no known reason too. I think they are made in china now and not as good as they used to be. The two part can increase deposits so that could be the source. Make sure your not overdosing too much.

Flippers4pups
12/30/2012, 11:07 PM
Impeller shafts get calcium build up between the magnet and shaft. This causes them to not want to start up sometimes. Even with vinegar baths, they will jam. Working the magnet against the shaft until its free and lose may clear your problem.