PDA

View Full Version : Some ID questions, Possible Cyano, an SPS, algae.

Fitz19d
12/31/2012, 02:36 PM
Ok, one week old tank transferred to new 55g after first cracked a brace on me.

Established refugium/sump with majano and other nasties in it. A skimmer that so far isn't appearing to be working up to speed. (It's own thread later.) I have a 36 inch currents USA t5 with should be 3 10k, 3 blues or maybe 4 and 2. Also a unknown blue in water LED strip ~ 12 inch. Live rock came from an established tank tear down. 2 koralia power heads 1050's (too much?)

Doing water test now from the tank move, but before move I was running zero or barely any ammonia, 0's for the rest. LFS said calcium was like 420 or 440. Water change was with their pre made water with premium forget what brand salt. Top off has been with distilled store water while waiting for RODI. 7.8 PH, working on raising with aquavitro 8.4 buffer. Temp just from lights/powerhead in a 71Degree house tends to hover 80/81. Was told by the previous owner he had a 12-16 hour light cycle on the corals he used to have. (And I have these as an afterthought, primarily supposed to be a mantis tank soon.)

ID: 1
Last half of first week I started getting the algae on wall and my white coral skeleton I threw in turning kinda brownish. Move to new tank has made all that go away except for some coating on rocks and what you can see in skeleton below and on power head. I remember it being more brown, but under the bright lights looks more green. The skeleton was much thicker covered and more brown but I took it out and sprayed it off in sink to try and kill/wash some of it off.

Are these diatoms even though seems wavy/stringy/green? Normal new tank stuff that will go away? (Despite old sump and rock, new gravel)

ID: 2
Coral plug, supposedly the circled brown thing was the SPS, he said it was doing bad/thought it died, but then right before teardown saw some life in it. Thought if I'm lucky it would come back. Atm at top of high rock under high flow/light. Before the move to 55g I thought I saw some little circular things on suface I didn't see before.

Any idea what it is or if it's even still with us? Phone couldnt focus for a decent pic.

ID: 3
I thought this was part of the purple coraline, just darker. But now with the extra lights seems much more blood red. It seems kinda painted on, can sorta scratch it off. Slightly slimy but not soft like the corals. I'm worried it's cyano, but no bubbles or any body/growth to it like in the multiple page thread on cyano in the new to hobby section.

Panic or no panic?

SushiGirl
12/31/2012, 08:32 PM
If it doesn't come off easily, but you have to scratch it off, the last one is not cyano. I've had the same thing in my tank for quite some time now. I call if burgundy coralline, though it's not as calcerous as coralline.

Sorry, don't have an answer for any of the others.

SushiGirl
12/31/2012, 08:32 PM
Double post.

Fitz19d
01/01/2013, 05:18 AM
If it doesn't come off easily, but you have to scratch it off, the last one is not cyano. I've had the same thing in my tank for quite some time now. I call if burgundy coralline, though it's not as calcerous as coralline.

Sorry, don't have an answer for any of the others.

Thanks, thats a huge relief. I kinda like the idea of being home to some pests but the assorted algae outbreaks are not one of them.

Under the rocks I've also noticed a lot of bizzare egg sack or gummy pearl type things. One which I can't get a picture of had a kinda milky base with black droplet shaped things extending out. (I believe with the orientation that means pointing down from overhang into the substrate rather than something on surface reaching up. So I've already realized I'll never ID everything.

I think today I'll try to get some drips cleaned off the glass and get a good youtube video. Aside from my ID questions, I'm wringing my hands over getting the perfect flow and whether I'm over blasting the xenias. (Can't seem to find an angle where they can slowly wave vs being over on one side in heavy wind.)