PDA

View Full Version : Update on New tank

jtroutt19
12/31/2012, 05:35 PM
Alright its been a minute since my original post. But got this 29gal up and running 3 inch sand bed just added live rock today. Found a couple hitch hikers. Got live rock from PremiumAquatics.com I live like 4 miles from it. Found something that looks like a rollie pollie lol I think it is a chiton from what i have been reading. And also something in a small hole. It has yet to come fully out of its hole but looks like a feather duster from what i can see. Also found a small spot of Bubble Algae on one piece of LR. I bought it already cured. Read that Emerald Crabs eat bubble algae. Do i really have to wait till the tank cycles to put crabs in it. Thanks I will try and get pictures up soon!!

BAGGERZ13
12/31/2012, 07:53 PM
What are you testing for? You need test kits for pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate while your cycling. Ammonia is hard on inverts because it dissolves their shells and skeletons...

jamesbaur13
12/31/2012, 08:12 PM
If you got your LR from premium aquatics and they are close you'll probably not have much of a cycle.

I'd just manually try to remove the bubble algae if you can... best to remove that rock and pull it off outside the tank. If it ruptures it'll release it's spores.

jtroutt19
12/31/2012, 08:54 PM
I've got tests for Alkalinity, PH, KH, CA, Ammonia and Nitrite. She still needs to purchase the test for nitrate. I will do that with the bubble algae thanks for the tip. And yeah I live 4 miles from there store. Ammonia is at .5-1 ppm right now. No nitrites and everything else is where is should be. The tank has been up and running with just sand and the water for 3 days without LR.

BAGGERZ13
12/31/2012, 10:16 PM
Your seeing a pretty good cycle 1-2 ppm for ammonia is good and then it will convert to nitrite and your nitrite will spike as your ammonia stays at zero then which converts to nitrate. So the. Your ammonia and nitrite will be at 0 and your nitrates will be a little high. Wait a week to make sure your ammonia an nitrite stay at 0 and then do a water change and you will be good to add livestock.

jtroutt19
01/01/2013, 03:23 PM
Alright did the daily tests today. 24 hours after adding LR. Ammonia is the same at .5-1ppm but nitrite changed from 0 to .25-.5ppm. This is what I am wanting correct. I've been sprinkling a little fish food in each day to try and get ammonia to come up a little bit. Also I've noticed the skimmer is producing more nastiness today.A couple of pictures also. More LR is on its way.