PDA

View Full Version : diy stand in wall question

gguertin
01/01/2013, 12:42 AM
I am building a stand for a 180g tank in the wall and hit a roadblock and could use some help.

I was trying to mimick rocket engineers tank as i have done in the past but this tank in my new house is going in a wall causing me to use the bottom 2x4 flat instead of vertical... i didnt think this would be a problem at first and the floor is concrete not wood under the board.

As i started going through the build i realized the pink and blue boards on his drawing would not allow the connections to line because of the height difference... how could i deal with this and have enough strength still?

Does anyone have a picture of a build they did with 1 or multiple flat bottom boards... likely when putting the tank in an existing wall...

Thanks!

sabbath
01/01/2013, 06:37 AM
How about laying 2x4's out from the wall to build up the whole area the height of the walls bottom flat ( not sure the name of it) 2x4. Then just build the new stand on top of it the new 2x4's laying flat on the floor?

gguertin
01/01/2013, 07:36 AM
I can do this but that makes it harder to bolt the bottom pieces together... guess ill get some longer screws....

sleepydoc
01/01/2013, 10:12 AM
It sounds like you're talking about the bottom plate of the wall framing. You could build it up with another 2" of material (i.e. another 2x4 and a 1/2" piece of plywood) so it is even with the other 2x4s on edge, but sabbath's idea is probably easier. The joints don't have to line up the way they do on rocket engineer's design.

You can also use plates to connect the bottom pieces rather than screws.