PDA

View Full Version : No3:pox4

Kroghs
01/01/2013, 06:27 AM
7 days ago I had a doser malfunction and dosed one liter of NO3:POX4 into my 65 gallon reef tank. Lost 1/2 of my fish, soft corals, lps's looking better and water is clearing up. Some sps's not doing well at all. Have completed about a 60% water change over a 5 day period, keeping wet skimmer cleaned daily and it is working great. Fish ate yesterday. Magnesium and calcium are perfect and alkalinity is high. Will be testing nitrates, ammonia and phosphates today. Ran an air pump and air stone in aquarium for a few days and have discontinued that. Any suggestions as to what else I should be doing and when should I start dosing again. I am new to these forums and struggle with abbreviations for now. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

tmz
01/01/2013, 09:21 AM
Sounds like the worst is past. The overdose of a carbon source probably caused a bacterial bloom which depleted oxygen and killed your fish. PO4 and NO3 were likely depleted very rapidly by the bloom too.. That depletion plus the oxygen issue may have harmed some corals.

I'd keep skimming and run some granulated ativated carbon for additional organics export .
How high is the alklainity?.

Keep an eye on the sps ;if tissue begins to recede ,fragging them might be necessary.
Keep up the aeration for a few days. If teh water is clear , Ther is no reason I can think of to put off a dosing restart.

Kroghs
01/01/2013, 09:48 AM
Alkalinity about 13.7, turned down calcium reactor last night. Will put carbon back in and aerate more. Anything else to suggest?

tmz
01/01/2013, 01:57 PM
You may see snotty growths and strands of bacteria here and there. Sucking them out is helpful. A turkey baster works for this.
Slimy white build up on the glass may appear and can be rubbed off with a mag float or other algae cleaning device.
Watch your reactors and or media bags and any filter media in use as they may readily clog with excess bacteria.
I'd let the alk fall to less than 10dkK. SPS may have trouble with the higher alk and very low nutrients.

Is your water clear or cloudy now?

Kroghs
01/01/2013, 02:21 PM
Water seems to be clearing up slowly. I will turn down my calcium reactor. May I ask you a filtration question? Bob

tmz
01/01/2013, 09:42 PM
Sure.

Kroghs
01/02/2013, 03:33 AM
I am currently using a Marine-land Bio-wheel sump filter system and I am concerned that the wheel may stop rotating if I do not keep the trays with the pre-filter materials clean enough, this has happened once before. If the trays get clogged the water over flows over the side of the trays and much of the water by-passes the bio-wheel, stopping the rotation. If the bio-wheel stops rotating that could have a negative impact on my biological filtration system. Do you recommend I switch my filter to a wet/dry bio ball sump system? If so, how would you suggest I transition to this new filter without creating biological filter chaos in my system? Thank you.

tmz
01/02/2013, 09:42 AM
A biowheel or bioballs or any sysem that provides a flow of high oxygen water over a lot of surface area encourages ( ammonia oxidizing) bacteria and makes nitrate. Usually this results in higher nitrate levels in the water. High nitrate is a problem for some corals and may add to nuisance algae growth. The organic carbon dosing may offset it .

Ultimately, I'd recommend removing the wheel and filter media from it and maybe just use the filter box for granulated activated carbon and /or gfo. For now until things setlle down , I wouldn't change it but would rinse the wheel off in tank water ocassionally if it slimes up badly . When the tank is ovre the bloom ,you can consider removing the wheel.
Those bacteria from the bloom should exhaust the extra organic carbon in a day or so andwuld have useda lot of nitrate and phospahte. So your levels should be very low now but the biowheel may raise them again
Is the water clear yet?

Kroghs
01/03/2013, 03:47 AM
What is "GFO?" Water is slowly clearing. Thanks for the advise.

fishman1069
01/03/2013, 05:12 AM
Gfo = granulated ferric oxide. Its used to remove phosphate from the water