PDA

View Full Version : Supplementing Kessil A150 with T5?

JJshiv
01/01/2013, 01:06 PM
So I am currently running a Kessil A150 over my 25g cube. While I like the light, I feel like my corals don't quite have the color and growth they should /could and I'm thinking I would like to add another source of light instead of upgrading to the A350. The color has always been on the blue side so I was thinking of adding an Aquaticlife 2x18w T5HO to both increase light intensity and add a bit of white. Will this fixture accomplish this? I have a BTA, zoas, birdsnest, montis, and would like to grow some acros at the top. I would love to hear some opinions. Thanks.

Painted skin
01/01/2013, 01:20 PM
I had owned the Kessil a150w mutichip comparable to 150mh, with great results. Did you acclimated the corals to leds and I know those light don't have a dimmer so how did you acclimate? And what spectrum did you get? Most people have issue because they don't acclimate properly.

JJshiv
01/01/2013, 11:48 PM
Yes I acclimated all corals to the Kessil by starting them off on the bottom of the tank and gradually moving them higher to their final spot. It is the 15k ocean blue model. Ive had the majority of corals for at least 9 months. The zoas and 2 lps (euphyllia and open brain) I have are doing fine. I guess its the birdsnest, montis, and stylophora that I'm concerned with. The montis all seem to grow upwards towards the light and are faded in color. This leads me to believe I have no chance with acros.

Painted skin
01/02/2013, 12:20 AM
That's exactly what spectrum I had with sps. What is your water parameter? SPS are a lot more sensitive to water quality.

JJshiv
01/02/2013, 08:38 AM
My water params:

Ca 420 (Red Sea)
Alk 8 (Red Sea)
Mg 1600+ (Red Sea) has always been high
Salinity 35 ppt (refracto) using Reef Crystals
PO4 0.00 (Hanna) always has been even with heavy feeding
NO3 0
Temp 79-80

I run carbon in a BRS reactor and chaeto in my 20g sump that houses a Reef Octopus NWT 110 (i believe that is the model).

For inhabitanats, I have a clown pair and redhead goby that I feed 2 times per day with a variety of food (prime flakes, pellets, cyclopeez, PE mysis). I also feed oyster feast almost everyday at the recommended dosage.

JJshiv
01/02/2013, 08:40 AM
Thanks for your help Painted Skin and by the way, why did you change away from the Kessil and how long did you use it?